View Full Version : Penncrest Roundie on ebay

veg-o-matic
03-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Don't think I've ever seen one of these before, but then, I don't get out much...:D
No affiliation, etc.
Linky (http://cgi.ebay.com/1963-Penncrest-RCA-21-Round-Picture-Tube-Color-TV_W0QQitemZ320223336848QQihZ011QQcategoryZ3638QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

veg

RetroHacker
03-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Ooh. That's a heck of a drive (4 hours) but I am going to watch this one. I've been trying for a long while to find a "daily watcher" roundie. This looks very promising.

-Ian

bgadow
03-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Another rare one...ha, no doubt about what chassis it is! Should make a very good set once it's sorted out.

RetroHacker
03-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I know - it's amazing. I can't seem to actually locate a "common" roundie. I have four roundies now. None of which are working. I have a Magnavox combo roundie "backward chassis" with a bad flyback. A GE roundie in storage with a very, very broken cabinet, broken picture tube and no HOT. A Philco roundie with a dud picture tube. And a Sylvania CTC-4 in need of a major overhaul.

I have been looking for years for a CTC-16, to no avail. Weird, huh?

The CTC-4 is next up for restoration, I've got all the caps I think I need, I just need to sit down and begin the huge task of rebuilding it. At least that one should have a good picture tube. The flyback looks iffy though. And I don't know if I'd want to put a lot of hours on the thing once it's rebuilt (if I can get it to work at all).

And after all the effort I've put into hunting, I still don't have one that can work!

-Ian

zenithfan1
03-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Yeah, I know - it's amazing. I can't seem to actually locate a "common" roundie. I have four roundies now. None of which are working. I have a Magnavox combo roundie "backward chassis" with a bad flyback. A GE roundie in storage with a very, very broken cabinet, broken picture tube and no HOT. A Philco roundie with a dud picture tube. And a Sylvania CTC-4 in need of a major overhaul.

I have been looking for years for a CTC-16, to no avail. Weird, huh?

The CTC-4 is next up for restoration, I've got all the caps I think I need, I just need to sit down and begin the huge task of rebuilding it. At least that one should have a good picture tube. The flyback looks iffy though. And I don't know if I'd want to put a lot of hours on the thing once it's rebuilt (if I can get it to work at all).

And after all the effort I've put into hunting, I still don't have one that can work!

-Ian
Mine don't work either! {not properly anyways} LOL! but never give up:no:, gotta keep hunting! You'll find a gem:yes:. I am slowly getting everything I need to restore mine:thmbsp:.

stromberg6
03-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Hi Ian: I did my 4 over a period of about 4 months, with many short sessions, as time allowed. It is a big job. Have you decided if you are going to re-stuff the cans when you do your 4? I may re-do mine that way, or leave it to the next caretaker.
Best wishes,
Kevin

RetroHacker
03-04-2008, 09:28 AM
I haven't decided. It's going to be a big job, either way. I am going to start with the power supply, for sure. It's pretty cramped in there, and very filthy. I may end up restuffing the cans to keep everything neat - or mount terminal strips underneath the cans. The selenium stacks are getting upgraded to diodes, that's for sure.

I am definitely going to go for that Penncrest - should be a fairly easy repair and a good perfomer, and it will fill the "daily watcher" position nicely.

-Ian

vintagecollect
03-04-2008, 03:33 PM

grimer
03-04-2008, 07:24 PM

AndyMack
03-10-2008, 03:47 AM
Retro, did you get the Penncrest set? I was going to bid on it (and would certainly have won seeing it only went for $67), but came here first and saw you were trying for it. Hope ya got it!

RetroHacker
03-10-2008, 07:09 AM
Yep. I got it. I had to stay up until 2 AM, and I bid at the last few seconds. I bid rather more than the $67, I was pleasantly suprised that I was able to get it for that - I was really, really worried I was going to wind up paying more than I could really afford... After the last three or four roundies I've tried for on eBay always went for too much, I'm really excited to get this one!

Funny thing though, I was sitting there in front of the computer, and refreshing. It got down to like 40 seconds, so I hit "Bid" on the other window I had ready... and at just that instant, the internet connection hung! Thankfully, it sorted itself out in 20 seconds or so, but man, that was frustrating...

Going to be a road trip to go pick it up - it's a four hour drive. But hopefully it's nothing too serious to repair. I wonder what could fail and smoke to the left of the flyback cage?

-Ian

Sandy G
03-10-2008, 07:20 AM
Glad you got it, Ian ! We WILL be expecting pics, you know...(grin)

sampson159
03-10-2008, 11:41 AM
congrats! very interesting roundie. good luck with it and please post pics!

Dave S
03-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Funny thing though, I was sitting there in front of the computer, and refreshing. It got down to like 40 seconds, so I hit "Bid" on the other window I had ready... and at just that instant, the internet connection hung! Thankfully, it sorted itself out in 20 seconds or so, but man, that was frustrating...

Try justsnipe.com for those times you can't be there or really don't want to miss out! It's a little disconcerting having to give them your eBay account information, but I've been using them for a couple of years now and everything's good.

bgadow
03-10-2008, 07:07 PM
I occasionally use ensipe.com when I really want something. Very handy. Most stuff on ebay doesn't bother me that much.

RetroHacker
03-17-2008, 07:26 AM
Well, I drove out and picked up the set yesterday. I was somewhat suprised when I first got close to it - it's a metal set. I hadn't realized that. But it's cool, you don't see too many metal cabinet consoles. It's in pretty good shape aside from some wear on the front panel. The fake chrome is flaking off the knobs as well. But, the cabinet is in nice shape, with only minor wear and scratches.

I pulled the chassis last night, and took a look at it - the owner said that it worked and produced a wonderful picture until one day when it failed, and smoke came from just to the left of the flyback cage. I don't see anything burned under there, although there are a couple of power resistors that look like they had been running hot. It's pretty dusty, and it was late when I did my checking - I'll know more when I get a chance to clean it up and check it out.

The set came with a spare flyback and some spare (used) tubes. The picture tube looks perfect, I haven't tested it, but it was replaced in 1979. There's no cataracts, and it's nice and clean, the base is firmly attached and everything. No type number anywhere I can see though, and no labels. Quite possibly a rebuild.

The owner even threw in a cute little 19" GE "Accent-Line" tube type B&W portable. That set works perfectly, and gets a very nice picture over the air. Tuner's a little loose though.

So... hopefully I'll have some time soon to check this out. Any suggestions as to where to start looking? Also, I should be able to power this up on the bench with no picture tube, yoke or convergence board, provided I pull the horizontal output tube, correct? I am going to check the B+ supply first.

-Ian