View Full Version : Beginners Guide to Vintage Color TV restoration

Tony V
01-27-2008, 03:33 AM
I figured with the popularity of the beginners guide to vintage tv restoration topic that maybe we could have one for vintage color tv. Examples would be like convergence, deguassing and alignment procedures. Another would be like helpful hints to get the best out of your roundie, setting HV and adjusting the efficientcy coil. Sort of like a one stop topic for those who wish to set up and get their roundie's and early retangular color tv's up and going and playing at their best and not have to search over the site. If it turns out popular enough we can make it into a sticky. Post away..
-Tony

ccheath
01-27-2008, 03:37 AM
Just keep your finger away from the button on top of the picture tube. :yes:
Got zapped from those several time in my life. I wonder how many lives I have left. :D

oldtvman
01-27-2008, 08:44 AM
From many years of servicing these guys, I can give you a few tips,

1.. If possible get your hands on the factory service data. Sams is ok, but sometimes the specs and voltages measurement are not the same as in the factory literature.

2..I know it's hard, but through the years, as a model is introduced, there are service bulletins printed that either address a systematic problem, or help improve performance and reliability.

3. Follow normal troubleshooting steps. I watched a lot of my apprectice techs, turn simple problems into major castrophes. Something as simple as a dirty pot, or gasy tube could show syptoms that would set your head spinning if you let it.

Adam
01-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Here's a link to that big cateract removal thread: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85251&highlight=cateract
I was actually searching for info on cateract removal for a Magnavox I had at the time when I first found audiokarma.