View Full Version : Picked up a roundy.

freakaftr8
01-24-2008, 11:17 AM
This is an Airline entertainment unit found at an apartment in San Leandro (SF Bay Area) Last night. The lady that ownes the complex said that the person who lived in this apartment had been there for almost 40 years!!! The set had been there so long that the carpet was immaculate underneath the set! It's clean and works too, dim (prob a video output tube).

The think I hate to say about it is that I really didn't want it.... I was hoping it was a rectangular set but it's a roundy.. Dont get me wrong it's really nice and im glad I got it before someone that would have destroyed it did. But im not sure if I really want this beast, as an AK member is already buying my RCA ctc-16, I wasnt expecting to have another roundy. But oh well, if someone is interested in it. Let me know, I would also be willing to trade for a rectangular tube or hybrid.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/freakaftr8/P1010003.jpg

jpdylon
01-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Damn, and I'm just about all out of rectangular sets too :D

kx250rider
01-24-2008, 12:05 PM
That's really nice for a Wards Airline... Never seen one that deluxe! They're usually a really cheap cabinet, with a stripped Admiral chassis. What chassis does it look like?

Charles

bozey45
01-24-2008, 04:06 PM
that is definitely the nicest Airline set I've seen; i had an Airline, the family's first color set bought in 1964; used it for years after my parents got a rectangular set. it was an old cheap metal cabinet but boy it got a nice picture (RCA CTC-15). If I didn't live in the other "Bay Area" (Tampa that is), I'd pick that one up, with a little help of course!

Dave A
01-24-2008, 06:14 PM
It looks like it has sliding tambour doors also. And where are the controls? Remote?

Dave A

freakaftr8
01-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Yes this model does have sliding doors, they are a roll away style, a nice added feature. All controls are located up top, and I do not believe this is a remote set. I have yet to take it out of my SUV and pull the back cover. I will keep you guys updated into what I find.

It looks like it has sliding tambour doors also. And where are the controls? Remote?

Dave A

freakaftr8
01-24-2008, 07:34 PM
Well I powered it up. Didnt use a variac since the lady was nice enough to have it on when I got there........... grrrr anyway, the caps are staying cool. The CRT is very green. Looks like it hasn't been used in a while, red, nothing, blue nothing and green good on my sencore. Cooking the crt at 8v overnight..

BTW, it's an FJP22A and it's got an Airline sticker on it. Think the CRT's original in this set. Blew out the innards with an airhose, unbelivably dusty inside. And now it looks alot better. Found what looked to be an old twint tie laying on the chroma board and im glad it didn't make contact with something.

sampson159
01-24-2008, 08:26 PM
my uncles airline also had that same chassis and crt. i remember how good that picture was! perfect and it was so bright with movie quality color. hope your tube comes and show more pics!!another score for you.

Adam
01-24-2008, 09:14 PM
That cabinet looks nearly identical to one used for a Magnavox roundie I had once. It had a 21FJP22 with a bad green gun, bad flyback, and circuit boards that had turned brittle and were cracking, I wound up parting it out. But the cabinet sure was nice.

freakaftr8
01-24-2008, 10:15 PM
Ok guys it's a magnavox!! Built 4/1964. The stereo is cool! It's AMPI-THEATER sound! OMG does the stereo sound good!

freakaftr8
01-24-2008, 10:16 PM
The insides are ok, the boards are fine and almost all the tubes were replaced with Sylvania tubes.

freakaftr8
01-25-2008, 11:01 AM
Great news!! The CRT came back red 90% green 80% blue 91%. I tested the HOT cathode current at -55v and running at 209ma on the orig can caps... Going to replace the black beauty just to be safe but... It works and excellent sound and clarity too! Bright and rich with contrast...

Heres some screenshots of Ghost Rider!

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/freakaftr8/mag1.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/freakaftr8/mag2.jpg

zenithfan1
01-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Damn, its too bad you're so far away, I'd trade ya both of my maggie combos for that roundie! Awesome find!

kx250rider
01-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Very nice! Did you mean literally it's a Magnavox chassis?

I'm really tempted by that set. Ever get down toward LA? :scratch2:

Charles

freakaftr8
01-25-2008, 01:40 PM
Yes it really is a Magnaxox chassis. Ill post a pic of the chassis soon. I just had to repair the top cap for the 6JE6, it was fraying apart. Sometimes I go that way, I have family in Riverside and San Diego.

Sandy G
01-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Wow ! Nice set !

freakaftr8
01-25-2008, 05:57 PM
Wow! Look at the simularities between this late 80's Magnavox that bgadow has and my 64 model! The Airline I have is actually a Maggie roundie.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76145&d=1201283402

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/freakaftr8/P1010003.jpg

rcaman
01-25-2008, 06:37 PM
come on we want to see the insides. everybody agree. steve

radiotvnut
01-25-2008, 07:01 PM
Magnavox must have loved the CRT bezel on their rectangular sets because it was used from the start up until at least the mid '70's.

freakaftr8
01-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Well here is the chassis. It's deffinatly a Magnavox U903 Chassis date code 6/64. Note the pic I took is after I removed the shielding from the Flyback.

And the other pic, I cant get my nephew away from wanting to play his video games.. lol

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/freakaftr8/chas.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/freakaftr8/sm2.jpg

RetroHacker
01-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Hmm. Is it just me or are the pictures in this thread not showing up at all?

-Ian

David Roper
01-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Hmmm...I see all the pics (very nice btw) and I wasn't even logged in until just now so I could post.

RetroHacker
01-30-2008, 01:49 PM
Huh. That's weird. Normally you can't view pictures unless you're logged in. I don't know what's going on - I see that other people are talking about picture on this thread, don't even see any kind of marker or place where they might have gone. Other pictures on other threads are working fine.

-Ian

zenithfan1
01-30-2008, 03:21 PM
That chassis looks identical to my '65, now I'm curious as to what the chassis # on mine is. That thing looks like it cost a lot new!

kx250rider
01-31-2008, 01:44 AM
Hey; That's the "Backwards chassis"! (HV cage on the left, as viewed from the rear). I think they only did that on one chassis, and only on Magnavox. Due to the anode well in the CRT being on the right as viewed from the rear, most all other roundies had the HV cage positioned so that the anode lead would be shortest; cage on your right.

Charles

zenithfan1
01-31-2008, 09:14 AM
Hey; That's the "Backwards chassis"! (HV cage on the left, as viewed from the rear). I think they only did that on one chassis, and only on Magnavox. Due to the anode well in the CRT being on the right as viewed from the rear, most all other roundies had the HV cage positioned so that the anode lead would be shortest; cage on your right.

Charles

Hey, I never gave that much thought. You're right, this and the one in my '65 are the only chassis I've seen made "backwards" and that goes for other brands of sets too. This whole set is almost like mine, the major difference being this is a roundie and mine is rectangular. This one is nicer than mine in my opinion.

freakaftr8
01-31-2008, 10:47 AM
Thanks guys, yeah that backwards chassis really threw me for a loop as well. But I have to say this set is warming on me and i'll probably end up keeping it. It puts out a great pic too..

bgadow
01-31-2008, 11:57 AM
I have an Admiral roundie that's backwards, and a rectangular Motorola. But most stuck to the same pattern.

Something I made note of before but I haven't found the answer yet...apparently Magnavox & Westinghouse shared their color chassis for part of the 60s, and it was a backwards one. I'd like to know the story behind that.

charliesheen
02-07-2008, 10:50 PM
well as far as rect sets go,out here in dallas thats all i ever come up on,and there usually combos,i have a maggie combo that i bought for 10 bucks and i tell you i would trade it for a roundie anyday.thats one thing about la,roundies were a dime a dozen,esp in my neighborhood of older people who hated to throw out anything.