View Full Version : Admiral Tele-Bar Info Needed

cdmarion
01-21-2008, 08:15 PM
I just purchaced a 50's Admirial Tele-Bar, it has a 20" picture tube, pull out radio/phono. The right side opens up into a bar. I've never seen one and cannot locate any information but an original add http://books.google.com/books?id=zziS7fnHwPkC&pg=PA41&lpg=PA41&dq=admiral+%22tele+bar%22&source=web&ots=tE5JLT3c92&sig=QVVcKTsfrtKFNOv2iAZwa1ciMds and service manual.
I'm hoping someone can point me in the rite direction in finding more information on this unit.
I plan on getting it back in working order and using it for what it was intended for. So far the radio works great but no picture or sound on the tv side.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chris

cdmarion
01-21-2008, 08:17 PM
BTW. the model # is 321K46

bkharris
01-21-2008, 08:39 PM
Listed in Sams 117-2 and 135-2 which makes it 1950-1951

bgadow
01-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Neat! I've seen radiobars but this isn't so common. Admirals from that era aren't too hard to work on.

cdmarion
01-22-2008, 04:56 PM
I'll post some pic's soon, it's a cool set in good shape. It is very heavy and BIG. It's in the dining room now and everytime i ask my wife what she thinks about it i get the same answer; "It's Big".

Chris

TheNixer
01-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Can't wait to see the pics, that thing looks cool. I'm a fan of that early Admiral design.

bkharris
01-22-2008, 09:05 PM
According to the service data for the set,

Tv Chassis is 21L1 Radio Chassis is 3C1 and tv tuner is 94C18-4
Single 5U4G rectifier

It came with a 20CP4 or 20DP4 as its original picture tube which uses a single field ion trap

cdmarion
01-23-2008, 05:44 PM
Here are the pic's I promised. It is in "as purchaced" condition.

matt_s78mn
01-23-2008, 08:48 PM
Awesome set! What a great idea - combine two of my pastimes - drinking and watching TV!! LOL - Gotta find myself one of those! Anyway, good luck with the restoration, can't wait to see the pics of it working - and stocked!

Brach
01-30-2008, 06:39 AM
Your wife sounds to be very diplomatic. I bet she is real smart and funny too.

I never saw one of those but it is as cool as a TV could be! Especially today when alcohol is again being so heavily promoted more than it had been in the not so distant past.

I imagine such a unit would have been very popular for the wealthy in those high-rise apartments in places like Chicago and New York.

It would be very interesting to know how many were made.

Brach
01-30-2008, 06:42 AM
You must fill it with booze to make it look right!

I'm bett'n you are a tea toddler.

I bet it came with it's own glass set.

cdmarion
01-30-2008, 02:17 PM
I imagine such a unit would have been very popular for the wealthy in those high-rise apartments in places like Chicago and New York.

My thoughts exactly.

You must fill it with booze to make it look right!

I'm bett'n you are a tea toddler.

I bet it came with it's own glass set.
Believe me when the set is finished it will be used for exactly what it was originally intended. Watchinng the Andy Griffith Show on my 50's admiral while sipping on a glass of (insert drink preference here) It can't get any better than that.:banana:

I bet it did come with it's own glass set, although i don't know for sure. I wish i could find more information or pic's but i've really hit a dead end with this thing.

Brach
01-30-2008, 02:31 PM
If you are like me you'll find the original sales photos to identify the original glass ware.

I bet you would likely get lucky to find original glassware even though it could seem unlikely.

People would have saved that stuff and now all the surviving pieces are still in homes but more are likely at flea-markets, etc.

Andy Griffith is a little new for that set! I love that show too.

cdmarion
03-15-2008, 07:56 AM
I have put together a web page for the Tele-Bar, I've posted several pic's during the electronic restoration. As some you of you know this was my first television project so It's far from an experts point of view. Also as far as I know it's the only site with a Tele-Bar. Enjoy!!

www.freewebs.com/cdmarion

RetroHacker
03-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Nice work on the Tele-Bar. That's a really unusual set. Congratulations on your first TV project!

You know, that chassis looks _just_ like the one in your other Admiral (the one where you said the picture tube was weak). Check the numbers, they may very well be the same. Do both sets use the same picture tube?

If they're the same, you can do a quick test with the other tube/yoke, and see just how watchable (or unwatchable) the tube is, and get a feel for trying to bring back a weak tube with a picture tube tester. For example - if you cook the filament on a higher voltage, say, 7 or 8 volts for a few hours, then bring it back to 6.3, and let it stabilize, you can bring back emissions.

Keep up the good work!

-Ian

Dan Starnes
03-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Love that set.. really enjoyed your website too.
Dan

cdmarion
03-15-2008, 07:26 PM
Thanks guy's, it feels good to bring this thing back to life.

I checked the chassis and tube number on the other Admiral and unfortunately the #'s do not match. The chassis is a 21Y1 (Tele-Bar 21L1) and the tube is a 21EP4A (Tele-Bar 20CP4). I did pick up a portable test tube, so the plan is to re-cap the 21Y1 and look for a tube. I'm going to the ETF in May and hoping to find a tube there.

Chris

fujifrontier
03-16-2008, 08:52 PM
imagine if they were to sell a tv like that today