View Full Version : Keeping flybacks cool

andy
01-21-2008, 03:15 AM

stromberg6
01-21-2008, 09:51 AM
Andy: Thanks for the tip. I'll try it with my CTC-4, which also runs hot. Thats why they put a "chimney" on the HV cage! LOL.

yagosaga
01-21-2008, 01:23 PM
Andy: Thanks for the tip. I'll try it with my CTC-4, which also runs hot. Thats why they put a "chimney" on the HV cage! LOL.

Please measure the HOT currents first. What is the recommended current? Why is it hot?

With L117 you can adjust the horizontal output current.

Another hint: try it with a variac. 110V to 117V--with which mains voltage the flyback keeps cool?

A van is noisy and it is a deviation from original status.

- Eckhard

andy
01-21-2008, 04:07 PM

vintagecollect
01-21-2008, 05:16 PM

andy
01-21-2008, 05:49 PM

MRX37
01-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Very good idea.

Heat is the enemy of electronics.

grimer
01-21-2008, 06:44 PM

sgtrob
01-22-2008, 10:14 PM
Excellent Idea! My first vintage color set was an RCA CTC-12P with remote (SAME exact set as on the sams photofact 640-3 cover) with a roasted flyback. I found a new flyback at a TV repair shop in Inglewood for $25 (hey, it was 1990!) and wired it in, it still ran hot. The fan would have come in very handy then....

fsjonsey
01-23-2008, 01:55 PM
Could it be possible for a modern fly to be modified to fit a vintage color set?
By the way, most computer stores sell fans made completely out of billet aluminum, which would look great attached to a metal HV cage.

http://jonsey.blogdns.org/img/fan.jpg

andy
01-23-2008, 03:12 PM

freakaftr8
01-23-2008, 04:22 PM
If you can wire a fan with a 12v power supply (radio shack) to the on/off switch on the tv, the fan will come on when the set is powered and turn off when the set is off. I tried this on my magnavox. Works excellent!

Chad Hauris
01-23-2008, 09:30 PM
I don't think a solid state set's flyback would work on a tube set as the flyback provides an impedance match to the yoke coils on a tube set whereas the solid state set I believe runs the yoke right off of the horiz. output transistor. On a solid state set the flyback is mostly there just for the HV output and to provide other power supply outputs. Also the way it is set up for the horizontal output tube connection would be totally different than the transistor.

You might be able to retrofit a flyback used in a tube set that had a solid state tripler (such as a Zenith 4-tube set) back for use in an older tube set but I think that's as far as you could go.

Sometimes you can substitute deflection yokes between different brands of tube type sets. I used an Admiral yoke from a console on a RCA CTC-53 portable where the original yoke had burned. (I kept the original convergence coils from the RCA, which were fine.) The setup seemed to work quite well.

radiotvnut
01-23-2008, 11:16 PM
I don't remember the chassis number; but, an old Magnavox repairman told me that one of the last hybrid 19" chassis used a conventional tube flyback and HV rectifier tube. He said that it gave trouble early in the game and that Magnavox provided a kit that contained a different flyback, a solid state tripler, and some other parts. He said the conversion was a pain; but, when you did 50 of them, it got easier.

Phil Nelson
01-23-2008, 11:26 PM
Maybe this is too dumb to mention, but connecting two identical fans in series will give you less noise and more air, if you mount them right. You don't need a leaf blower to move air through an old TV or radio cabinet.

Phil Nelson

freakaftr8
01-24-2008, 01:16 PM
If you have the style flyback cage that has the fly on the bottom and a sremovable shield on the top like my Magnavox U910 chassis than this is what I did, I cut a hole in the cage in front of the flyback about the size of the fan blades. Then mounted the fan right in front of the flyback. Then I opened up the top of the removable cover for the air to escape. It comes out rignt below the 6BK4. I left the set on for 2 hours and the fly was cool to the touch. I wired in 1 9v power supply tapping the 120v off the record changer supply. When the radio or the tv is on, the fan turns on. Not a big deal to me if the fan runs when the set is off, but when the power is off on the unit, fan turns off too.

Hey if these fans are placed on our flybacks, are you worried about dust and crap getting in there?

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/freakaftr8/fly.jpg

MRX37
01-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Hey if these fans are placed on our flybacks, are you worried about dust and crap getting in there?

Not a bad idea to check for dust build up every month or two and blow it out as needed. That's what I do with my computer.