View Full Version : I have a working Sony KV 3000 for sale!!

jgreen1977
01-15-2008, 04:19 AM
Hey Guys, I own a very rare Sony KV 3000. The picture works most of the time but sometimes it doesn't. That leads me to believe that the problem is a short instead of the tube being completely gone. It is in Great shape. It is numbered #260 out of 1000 and was owned by Gregory I. Wood. He was the one that paid 10 grand for it. It also comes with a matching thing that looks like a tv stand, that looks like it would fit a regular 25" tv. There are also two working remotes and the automatic doors still work on the TV. AudioKarma is the only place on the internet that I saw one discussed. I live in Nashville, TN and for extra $ depending on where you live, I would be willing to deliver. If you have any questions, you can post them here or email me at jgreen1977@gmail.com. Make me an offer. Thanks,

Jeremy

kx250rider
01-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Those are very nice sets, and I am still kicking myself for not going after the one that was $100 on the San Francisco Craigslist awhile ago. Also saw one on eBay a few times.

I had two of them; one that I got new old stock from Adray's Dept. Store in Los Angeles when it was 7 years old, and another one that I got used from a kid whose father bought it new and passed it to him. Both of those are now in the hands of TV collectors.

Yours is the first one offered WITH the video rack... How about the rosewood cased 2nd remote RM-706W? Also there was a white felt cover that came with the TV, and a bag on the back with spare tamo ash wood veneer.

Although I don't have the space, I hope that set goes to a collector who will preserve it.

Charles

jgreen1977
01-15-2008, 11:08 AM
I am not at home right now, so I can't check the number on the remote but one of them does have wood around it. I think this is what you are talking about. I did not receive the white felt cover or the bag with extra wood in it. Thanks and if you or anyone knows someone who wants this, please tell me, or tell me where to post it. Thanks, and again my email is jgreen1977@gmail.com.

Bill R
01-15-2008, 01:47 PM
How much? I may be interested and I am in Jackson, TN just down the road.
Thanks,

Bill R

jgreen1977
01-15-2008, 09:31 PM
How about $600?

jgreen1977
01-16-2008, 03:07 PM
If this is to much, anyone can make an offer. You can post here or email me at jgreen1977@gmail.com. Thanks

mr_fixer
01-16-2008, 05:09 PM
Does anyone have any pictures of these sets? I've never heard of one before. I wish I had the spare money as i am only 20 miles from Nashville.

jgreen1977
01-16-2008, 05:20 PM
I'll get pictures of mine later hopefully by tonight. Please stay tuned!

Bill R
01-16-2008, 07:14 PM
I'll have to pass this time. Just got home from the hospital with my wife. She had a heart cath today and I guess I need to wait to see what that will cost first. Test today was ok, but now she will have to have other tests. Hope someone here close can get it.

Bill R

Duane
01-17-2008, 07:18 AM
I think it's this one...hope it uploads.

240sx4u
01-17-2008, 09:38 AM
Man, I hate console TVs but thats a beauty!

mr_fixer
01-17-2008, 03:14 PM
Wow! That is a beautiful set.They should have given it a name instead of a model number, like "The Imperial".
What is the chassis like? Modular, point to point, or one large circuit board?

kx250rider
01-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Wow! That is a beautiful set.They should have given it a name instead of a model number, like "The Imperial".
What is the chassis like? Modular, point to point, or one large circuit board?

How ironically close, that you should mention the Scott Imperial... In fact Sony DID name it like another Scott... "The Phantom Limited". It only mentions it in the owners handbook; not anywhere on the set.

Charles

Sandy G
01-18-2008, 11:37 AM
IIRC, this was supposed to be "Das Ultimat" type Trinitron when they made it- Beautiful cabinetry, all the whiz-bangs the fertile minds of Sony could think up at the time, & the largest picture tube that could ever POSSIBLY be made by mortal men...Now 30" isn't really all THAT big...

mr_fixer
01-18-2008, 08:10 PM
I used to keep up with electronic developments in the 80's. It was exciting to see new products like VCRs, Laserdisk players, and CD players come out every few months. I think it was around 83 or 84 when CD players finally dropped to below $100 which was about all i could afford for one, i only had enough money left over to buy 2 cd's. I was surprised that i had never heard of that Sony Phantom Limited before.
There were quite a few electronics expos in Nashville. I remember one that had a home digital tape player/recorder that used VHS tapes as the recording media, I think it was a Pioneer brand. It never seemed to catch on.

Bill R
01-18-2008, 08:46 PM
This set was sold in the mid 70's. At the time a 30 inch screen was huge, since most everyone else only had 25 inch screens. They were quite nice in their day, and to me they still look good even today.

Bill R

kx250rider
01-19-2008, 12:18 AM
I used to keep up with electronic developments in the 80's. It was exciting to see new products like VCRs, Laserdisk players, and CD players come out every few months. I think it was around 83 or 84 when CD players finally dropped to below $100 which was about all i could afford for one, i only had enough money left over to buy 2 cd's. I was surprised that i had never heard of that Sony Phantom Limited before.
There were quite a few electronics expos in Nashville. I remember one that had a home digital tape player/recorder that used VHS tapes as the recording media, I think it was a Pioneer brand. It never seemed to catch on.

I saw it on display at the Sherman Oaks Galleria in the San Fernando Valley, CA. It was in about 1983, because the movie "Valley Girl" had just been filmed there. The TVs were built in 1979 & 80, but they seemed to sit around forever. The one I saw wasn't even for sale; it was on display with a bunch of other Sony stuff including their first CD player, which had an MSRP of $1299 and was the size of a full-size top loader VCR. I got my first one in '86, still new in the store, but had petered out after 6 years as a demo.

Sony did that all over again in the early 90s with that huge 43" direct view tube, PVM-4300. That one wasn't ever sold to the public, but I have the manual on it. Had it gone public, the MSRP was $39,995. That was what the tag said at the main Circuit City store in West LA where Sony had put it on display.

Charles

mr_fixer
01-19-2008, 02:28 AM
Thanks, KX250, Duane and everyone else for the info/Picts of this Amazing Television Set. I hope someone puts many pictures of it in the members gallery for future reference. Hey JGreen have you sold it yet? I would love to see it in person before it goes away.

Duane
01-20-2008, 07:55 AM
Sony did that all over again in the early 90s with that huge 43" direct view tube, PVM-4300. That one wasn't ever sold to the public, but I have the manual on it. Had it gone public, the MSRP was $39,995. That was what the tag said at the main Circuit City store in West LA where Sony had put it on display.

Charles
A local CC in San Diego had that monster Sony on display also.It appeared to have some geometry issues.Rumor at the time the Steven Spielberg had one, but who knows..sales ploy???

Sandy G
01-20-2008, 10:56 AM
Sony DID have a KV-40000- a 40" direct view on sale for awhile, I think...This week it was, then next week it wasn't... Never saw one, though, & supposedly it had "issues", too. What would somethin' like that weigh, too ? 400 LBS ? And the 43" would be even worse... The glass on the screen must have been an inch or 2 thick to cope w/the pressure...can you imagine the WHOOM !! if one of those puppies imploded ? like a small tactical nuke...

Duane
01-20-2008, 12:39 PM
Sony DID have a KV-40000- a 40" direct view on sale for awhile, I think...This week it was, then next week it wasn't... Never saw one, though, & supposedly it had "issues", too. What would somethin' like that weigh, too ? 400 LBS ? And the 43" would be even worse... The glass on the screen must have been an inch or 2 thick to cope w/the pressure...can you imagine the WHOOM !! if one of those puppies imploded ? like a small tactical nuke...

I believe the last 40" tube set Sony made was the KV-40XBR800. It was HD capable and looked quite good. As with all large tubes, good geometry was next to impossible to achieve.They're showing up for sale in the $300-400 range all the time. I think they were around 300lbs.
The 43" model that Charles mentioned was a pro monitor. I could be wrong,but I believe the 43" set I saw in a local store was a consumer model and it did not sell due to the gargantuan price tag. I do not recall that model number.

kx250rider
01-20-2008, 01:32 PM
We have a KV-40XBR800. Just bought last week on eBay in nice shape for $425.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200191579211&ssPageName=STRK:MEAFB:IT

These have a reputation for power supply problems, but this one is from the original owner, and hasn't had any issues. It does weigh a ton! Kay wanted a big LCD set, but I showed her the value in the CRT sets, and she agreed. Her brother just paid $15,000 for all new plasma sets for his family in Dallas. What a not-so-good move. But then again, he has a full-size Hummer with a gasoline engine. He likes to spend money for no reason, I guess.

Charles

Eric H
01-20-2008, 08:52 PM
You know there's a matching cabinet for this on eBay now, basically NOS.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-SU-154-Matching-Cabinet-for-KV-3000R-Complete_W0QQitemZ330205849585QQihZ014QQcategoryZ7 3374QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Duane
01-21-2008, 09:39 AM
I'll get pictures of mine later hopefully by tonight. Please stay tuned!

Any luck finding a buyer for this set?

jgreen1977
01-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Hey, here are my pictures. The screen does not look good because it is from the air, not cable. I still have not sold and am looking for offers. If anyone knows anywhere to sell this or anyone that wants it, please let me know. You can email me at jgreen1977@gmail.com. Thanks.

rca2000
01-24-2008, 08:17 PM
Nashville is pretty far from me..but I have gone FARTHER for lesser tv sets.

(of course..I do NOT know HOW I would EVER get it out of my van, or iN it, for that matter!!)

Maybe I can afford to get it soon. I AM interested in it..for SURE!! perhaps, some trade, in part or such??

I have been away from here for awhile..Some health problems invloving my mother...and this cause me not to be able to sleep well for awhile. But--now I think things are MAYBE getting back to normal-- to a degree. Aside form needing BP medicine now--mom is the picture of ehalth for a 72YO.

Duane
02-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Did you ever sell this set? I saw a repeat ad for the matching stand today
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-SU-154-Matching-Cabinet-for-KV-3000R-Complete_W0QQitemZ230223723050QQihZ013QQcategoryZ7 3374QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and thought about your set again.