View Full Version : GE P990C World Monitor multiband radio

radiotvnut
01-09-2008, 12:58 AM
I just got this off epay. It has two SW bands, LW, AM, FM. I had one of these years ago and it seemed to be a decent radio. I've got to get some batteries tomorrow and see if it works. I think this radio is from the mid '60's. Any thoughts on this one?

radiotvnut
01-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Well, I got new batteries and it's dead as a hammer. One of these days I'm going to learn that "untested" on epay actually means that it "really does not work but we're not coming out and saying it". The battery contacts are clean; so, now I get to tear into it to see what the trouble is.

tgunner
02-24-2008, 04:29 PM
I have one of these, it's a pretty decent radio. The power jack on mine was broke. Try using the 12v power jack, and if that does not work, you should try connecting 12v right to the board.

tgunner
03-02-2008, 11:05 PM
Any luck?

radiotvnut
03-03-2008, 12:49 AM
It's buried at the moment. I'll get it out one day soon and play with it. I feel like there is a problem with the power supply since it's totally dead.

bgadow
03-03-2008, 10:58 AM
I used to be scared of solid state stuff, until I figured out that it is mostly bad caps like everything else. I've had a couple dead Zenith T-O's that just needed a few caps. I had this same model World Monitor when I was young and even more stupid than now...when the volume control pot got too noisy I ended up tearing it apart and never did get it fixed. I still have a newer version, though, probably just a couple years ahead of this one. It has always worked well and has great audio. Like most of those 60s multibanders it has a dial that looks beautiful when lit. The version I kept has AC built-in.