View Full Version : Crosley tv question

radio nut
01-07-2008, 08:38 PM
I am working on a Crosley tv model S11-442MIU (sams set153 folder3). I put a new flyback in it and it works. It does not switch channels without having to adjust the Horizontal hold everytime.Also even though the picture is good, it is not really sharp.The pic. tube is nos tested good. Ok,Is this set out of adjustment? Also is this set not ever going to be really crisp as far as the picture is concerned? Thanks Doug.

bgadow
01-08-2008, 12:34 PM
There is no reason that set shouldn't be capable of a crisp picture. Something must be out of whack, not surprising on a set that age. Has the TV been fully recapped? Does the focus adjustment have an effect? It would be interesting to know what the high voltage reading is.

radio nut
01-08-2008, 12:54 PM
The tv has been fully recapped, I just had to go buy the AGC variable resistor( it went out). The focus does make a difference, The pic. goes from very fuzzy to clearer but then gets real grainy. I can't seem to hit a sweet spot. I do not have a working VTVM inorder to check the high votage. I guess I will have to repair mine, thanks Doug.

radio nut
01-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Well, I out the new AGC control in, now if you tap the contrast knob the picture goes out of sync. the contrast variable resistor is not making good contact.Looks like I have a couple of issues.

radio nut
01-08-2008, 03:58 PM
After putting in a new contrast control and adjusting a few things so far I can get the focus to work well. The picture is pretty good. I did not realize that all those different controls can affect the whole tv that much. Doug

Old1625
01-08-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm not sure I'm familiar with the Crosley you're working on. The one I restored that I got out of a barn back in the mid '70s when I was fresh out of high school was a monster with barn doors over the 17 inch screen, and had 4 pix IFs. If yours has at least 3 of those, and it has a keyed AGC, I'd start looking for any resistors that have drifted out of tolerance (those in the set are very likely carbon constipation types that--despite this perhaps unfairly applied name--are apt to be of rather loose tolerance....) such is a good start--assuming, of course, that you have made sure that your power supply voltages are where they should be.

Also when dealing with sync instability in some of these old dinosaurs you need to remember to check that the outer auquadag skin on the back bell of the CRT is properly grounded. A stray pulse otherwise can rain on circuitry down below and wreak havoc on the delicate signals they work with....

Tube TV
01-12-2008, 02:00 AM
I had the same problem with my crosley , except it was the vertical .
I found it was a poor solder joint on a cap in the sync circuit .

How well does it "lock in" on a signal with the horizontal hold ?
Can you move the control quite a bit and it stays locked in , or does it fold in either direction when you move the contor , and it really hard to lock in ?
Also does this set have a horizontal width control that is used to move a core in and out of the flyback ?

What year is it ?