View Full Version : Another stupid question about CRT swaps..

freakaftr8
01-07-2008, 05:11 PM
I know, why would I do this.. But, has anyone ever taken a newer solid state chassis, that used an inline gun CRT and intalled it into an older tube style color tv cabinet and utilized the delta gun crt from the tube set? Not that I would do this, just curious..
Thanks

thomash85715
01-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Even if you could get the high voltage and focus voltages right, the dynamic convergence requirements of a delta tube are completely different from inline. If you could somehow use the correct convergence board for the delta tube, you might have a prayer. But as you say: why would you want to do this? It would seem a major engineering re-design project. --Tom

old_tv_nut
01-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Yoke impedance is entirely different in solid state vs. tube, so horiz sweep and high voltage would not work right - tube sets generally use higher voltage and lower current than solid state. Also, total power in yoke is probably different if CRT neck size is different. Many other details are different also, as the yoke winding is designed to help with convergence in the innline sets, rtc etc

bgadow
01-08-2008, 12:52 PM
I would try to get some specs for some older test jigs that could be used both on tube and solid state. I'm guessing they used specially designed yokes with lots of taps, but I don't really know. I'm not sure that they ever worked with inline tubes. I once had a good used GE 25v crt that was inline dot matrix. It was tempting to hold on to it and maybe one day try and make it work with a 25v delta set but eventually I just tossed it.

freakaftr8
01-08-2008, 01:20 PM
What I was thinking, I have found a set out here, well, a shell of one, it's an old rca. Not sure of year but I think it's a ctc-28. Looks awfully similar to the ctc-28 I used to have as a kid that I played nintendo on every day. This set still has the crt, hopefuly good (not in my possession) but the chassis is missing. What I would love to do is strip the chassis out of a newer set, probably one with OSD and closed captioning, (your standard run-of-the mill of todays crt sets, and install it into the rca cabinet and somehow get that chassis to work with the delta crt thats still there, this would be an awesome combination of old and new! Considering that the chassis is gone, the cabinet looks great. What would it take to get this monster to work? Or should I find a way to retrofit the new set's crt into this cabinet too... My idea was to make the set look as original as possible and mount the push button controls and the IR sensor underneath in an inconspicious area.

BTW, didn't Zenith and some other companies make an older style rectangular CRT with the more rounded edges during the mid 70's that used inline concept? If so and I got my hands on that CRT, wonder if it would work?

andy
01-08-2008, 01:51 PM
You could use a solid state chassis that originally worked with a delta gun CRT like a Chromacolor II, or XL-100. Then you could swap the entire chassis along with the yoke and convergence yoke. Since all 25" delta gun CRTs are pretty interchangeable, you shouldn't have any problems. Save the original yoke for if you find an original chassis.