View Full Version : 80's VCR that is Holy Grail ??

Snade
12-24-2007, 11:17 AM
Hey Guys, I'm really enjoying my early 80's Trinitron in our basement family room. I've got it hooked up to my comcast cable (no box) and I get all the local stations (that's fine). Beautiful picture with warm colors.

I'd like to hook it up to an 80's VCR and watch some of my old VHS tapes of favorite shows.

The local thrift has about 10 VCRs right now. What is the best brand or model VCR to look for at the thrifts. Did VCRs go back to the early 80's ?

I've got a 90's panasonic VCR, but I'd like to look for a perfect match for the old Trinitron.

You guys are getting me hooked on vintage TV, thanks.

Merry Christmas, Snade

Duffinator
12-24-2007, 11:39 AM
Sony and Panasonic made some of the better players. I still have a Panasonic top loader, a very early model from the early 80's (maybe late 70's), and it weights about 50 lbs. It has a wired remote and still works fine.

Celt
12-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Panasonic made some professional use VHS decks with stereo Dolby linear tracks as well as Hi-Fi. Some of the best models had back lit VU meters with manual recording levels. Extremely well made.

radiotvnut
12-24-2007, 01:51 PM
I always liked the Panasonic made VCR's through about '87. The Magnavox, Philco, Sylvania, GE, and some of the RCA's were actually re-branded Panasonic machines. We had a mid '80's Magnavox basic 2 head model with 14 position tuner that lasted for years.

Celt
12-24-2007, 02:26 PM
Panasonic's transports were made better too. A lot more metal and less bailing wire and such. I had a Magnavox and mom had a GE that were both made by Panasonic. Both lasted well over a decade with heavy use.

andy
12-24-2007, 02:52 PM
A high end Panasonic is hard to beat. Look for an 85-86 model (or early 87).

JVC also made some great VCRs in the 80's. JVC didn't cut the quality as early as Panasonic. I wouldn't touch a Panasonic made after mid 1987, but JVC kept the quality up until 88 or so. You can even find S-VHS JVCs that have a good quality transport (HR-S5000U, HR-S7000U, HR-S8000U, and HR-S10000U are all great VCRs). Zenith VCRs were made by JVC and might be more common in your area. For JVC, you can go from 1984-1988 and get a good quality transport.

I would avoid RCA/Hitachi, and NEC because they had some reliability problems and way too many belts. The same advice goes double for Sharp, and Mitsubishi. Also, don't even think about a Korean brand (Goldstar, Samsung). They have a high tech reputation now, but they were bargain brands in the 80's.

Sony was great, but Beta only.

You should know that no 80's VCR will be plug and play. They will need cleaning, and some new rubber parts. Any 80's Panasonic will need to have the power supply re-capped.

Dave A
12-26-2007, 11:51 AM
Some VHS decks (toploaders as I remember) also came with a camera connector on the front. I had one with the 10-pin RCA variety. Great fun to connect my old RCA CC-002 color camera and record the worst color ever from a vidicon. Sony may have done it also.

Dave A

AU20K
12-26-2007, 03:54 PM
If you can find a good Mitsubishi stereo hifi 4 head vcr, that is what I recommend. I bought a model HS423UR in mid 80's, I still use it a lot and it has not even had a hickup. Works and looks like new.

Lady Ayeka
03-28-2008, 02:12 PM
the mitsubishi HS-U70, -U80 and the JVC HR-S8000U are most definately THE holy grails of VCRs.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/HS-U70.jpg

zenith2134
03-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Not holy grail, but I once owned a 1985 Sharp VHS vcr which was built for the ages. It eventually got worn out heads, but had seen tons of use by the time that happened. I got it second hand from a family who watched lots of VHS movies (on their 1980 25" system 3 BTW), plus I put lots of hours on it as a child.

I'm not into vhs as much as I once was, but given the sad state of modern decks I'd snag an 80's sharp again.

Geoff Bourquin
03-28-2008, 09:55 PM
I still have the Quasar (AKA Panasonic) top loader I bought USED in 1984. I don't think I've even re-capped the power supply yet (but I really should). I also have the Zenith VR2000 I got USED in 1987 (someone had cleaned the heads with Qtips, so I did put heads in it when I got it). It also recieved a couple caps in the IF circuit. It developed an awful audio buzz. Then there's my Sony SL-2500 Beta.
; Timer IC quit, but I don't care...I only play my old beta stuff with it these days. Then there's the JVC HR-S6800U super VHS. Full recap on the power supply, but otherwise a workhorse. Then I have a couple early 90s Sony VHS decks. Fairly trouble free, but a little too new in my opinion.

Short answer: Mid 80s Panasonic. Good quality, usually easy to fix when they do need something.

Arkay
03-28-2008, 10:49 PM
This might not be much use to you, as I've never seen another and you'd probably have to source from Japan to get one, but if you really want a super-nice VCR, the JVC X1 Limited is an amazing VCR. I have no doubt it was that brand's "ultimate statement piece", and it is the best VCR deck I've ever found (or heard of).

It has umpteen functional controls like any top-end studio deck would have. In fact, that's what it is inside: it has broadcast-studio quality heads, etc... and all the functions of a top-end studio deck, but all re-packaged in a beautiful champagne-gold brushed-aluminum case with lacquered wooden end panels and high-end looking controls. It practically radiates "expensive luxurious quality" to look at. When not in use, most of the controls remain hidden behind (and are also located in(!) a flip-down panel that covers much of the front, giving it a clean, elegant look when "at rest".

I spent over a year looking for one "ultimate keeper" VCR deck, one that would combine ultimate quality with good looks and durability,and this one is it. It brings out everything that is on the tape, and the sound quality can be nearly as good as a high-end R2R tape deck. Because of the inherent limitations of the format, the picture will not be as good as, say, a hi-def DVD, but I've never seen better pictures from VCR tapes than I get from this thing. It also has more controls over the recording and playback processes than I have ever seen in a deck, except the biggest studio ones. I seriously doubt there is a better VCR model in existence, and I've seen similar Japanese-market ones from other makers like Sony -- they are no better. In fact, I don't know which came first, but if I didn't have this JVC, my second choice would be the very similar-looking Sony. The JVC is slightly better in a few respects, but they are very close and you wouldn't be disappointed with the Sony, either. I believe the Sony is more common, as I've seen several of them, but the only X1 Limited I've ever seen is the one I own.

The biggest drawback to it IMO is that all the controls are labeled in Japanese, and you really have to know what they all are, to use it correctly. There are so many controls --and they are so complicated-- that you have to get it all translated (unless you read/speak Japanese!) and study if for a while, to be able to use it even just for normal playing/recording. I couldn't even figure out how to get the normal basic functions to work correctly until I got the controls all translated by a Japanese friend. It is to an ordinary VCR what the Nakamichi Dragon is to a Walkman.

The second biggest drawback is that I'm not sure who could repair this thing if/when it ever breaks down. It is way more complicated than any normal home-use VCR deck. You'd need an experienced studio technician to do much more than open her up, I fear, and parts might be difficult to find. [Fortunately for me, the one I have still works fine as-is.]

The third drawback is that it is physically pretty big. Its size is at least on a par with the biggest high-end LaserDisc players (Pioneer Elites), maybe a smidge bigger.

But despite the complications and language drawbacks and the size, if you want one VCR that will do everything you'll ever possibly want one to do, and do it all superbly well, try to get the JVC X1 Limited. It just doesn't get any better, IMO.

waltchan
04-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Best Panasonic VCR ever made in history (and no one cannot argue) is the NV-H70PX (AG-1810 identical but with smaller/lighter linear power supply). It's made in 1986 and has a linear (no switching) power supply, 4-head Hi-Fi, mid-80s chassis, etc. It's the last VHS VCR ever made by Panasonic with a linear power supply. Unfortunately, you will never find one on eBay. Last one showed up on January 2005, and that's the one I have.

Identical model of the NV-H70PX is Canon VR-720HF, and it shows up on eBay quite often. But owning a Canon-brand VCR is not always exciting.

If you want the highest-longevity life Panasonic VCR, Panasonic AG-2100 is your answer. It's a 2-head video cassette player (no record) with a large linear power supply with only two belts, and it's way overbuilt, heavy, and simple-designed.

mr_fixer
04-18-2008, 09:11 PM
The best vcr i had was a Pioneer, the thing i liked the best was it had a flying erase head. which meant you could go from play to record within 1 frame with no static between cuts, It could produce broadcast grade edits even though it was a consumer product. That VCR got killed when a pole transformer blew up during a ice storm in 98'.

Lady Ayeka
04-18-2008, 10:54 PM
The best vcr i had was a Pioneer, the thing i liked the best was it had a flying erase head. which meant you could go from play to record within 1 frame with no static between cuts, It could produce broadcast grade edits even though it was a consumer product. That VCR got killed when a pole transformer blew up during a ice storm in 98'.

damn, that's too bad. it was the VH-930SD S-VHS, right? i tell you, that sucker is darned near unobtainium. even pictures of it are!!
PIONEER VH-930SD S-VHS VCR (1989)
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/VH-930SD6.jpg
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/VH-930SD51.jpg

mr_fixer
04-18-2008, 11:03 PM
It wasn't a S-vhs, but it was a good one. I bought it used from a pawn shop in 1992-3. I think that it had a shuttle knob on the right side for fast foward and reverse. and it had a door that flipped down so you coould adjust the audio levels with 2 slide faders. It was along time ago. so my memory might be a little fuzzy.

Lady Ayeka
04-18-2008, 11:50 PM
It wasn't a S-vhs, but it was a good one. I bought it used from a pawn shop in 1992-3. I think that it had a shuttle knob on the right side for fast foward and reverse. and it had a door that flipped down so you coould adjust the audio levels with 2 slide faders. It was along time ago. so my memory might be a little fuzzy.

huh. i know of no PIONEER VCR with a JOG/SHUTTLE. i do not believe they ever made one that did. it probably wasint a PIONEER after all.the only two VHS format VCRs pioneer ever made were "me too" unremarkable OEMs from unremarkable companies. definitely not of the caliber of this;

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/HS-U702.jpg
MITSUBISHI HS-U70 S-VHS VCR (1988)

Red October
04-19-2008, 12:19 AM
I've got two of the decks mentioned -The JVC HR-S5500U (This is exactly a 5000U with an advanced remote... that gobbles batteries, mind you) and one of the substantial JVC commercial units, a BR-6400U, identical to a certain panasonic one. It has Dolby, backlit VU meters, a wired remote with infinitely variable speed playback WITH SOUND (good for fooling about, this) and numerous other features. The load mech has gotten a bit tired and needs to be helped along with a finger in the front but it does work just fine. Another fantastic deck is the Sony SL-HF-900, rated best VCR ever made by Consumer Reports... it's a Beta, but if you're making new recordings with it it doesn't matter (we're all smart people here and order out tape on-line, right?) as they use standard Betacam tapes (NOT SP, those are metal oxide tapes suitable for ED Beta decks but will grind down the heads of ordinary VCRs rather quickly... could be good for sorting out a nicked head but don't even mount one otherwise and only if you're sure it's a nicked head and it does't work). I've seen some fantastic Mitsubishis such as the HS-U80 but as a previous poster pointed out they can be problematic, and parts are not easy to find. Nippon Electric decks, while some were very nice, also had mech problems. My Marantz (Rebadged NEC) is a very iffy thing in its operation.

andy
04-19-2008, 09:55 AM

Red October
04-19-2008, 02:18 PM
The caution against using Betacam SP tapes in standard machines is an old one indeed; I've known about it for at least ten years and never thought to question it until now. I'm really not sure where the notion that they'd grind down the heads came from but I'll have to look further. Still, keep the Metal Oxide tapes out of the regular machines.

andy
04-19-2008, 07:12 PM

ChrisW6ATV
04-20-2008, 04:02 PM
Do metal audio cassettes wear down audio heads faster than oxide?
When metal-tape cassettes were first sold, the decks that could use them all had sendust heads due to the wear issue. Later, there were "super-hard permalloy" heads that were considered OK for metal-tape use. I would expect that ED Beta (and Betacam SP) heads are harder than standard heads as well.

Metal tape, that brings back memories. They sure sounded good, but the first Sony metal tapes cost US$10 each! That one had a metal frame with clear front and back; later Sony metal cassettes were lower priced and had more standard shells.

ChrisW6ATV
04-20-2008, 04:09 PM
huh. i know of no PIONEER VCR with a JOG/SHUTTLE.
Pioneer made at least one Beta VCR with a jog/shuttle dial, the VX-90 which is a Sony SL-HF900 twin. In fact, there is one on the big auction Web site right now.

Lady Ayeka
04-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Pioneer made at least one Beta VCR with a jog/shuttle dial, the VX-90 which is a Sony SL-HF900 twin. In fact, there is one on the big auction Web site right now.

OOPS! i ment to say that i know of no PIONEER VHS VCR with a jog shuttle! i have known for a while now about most all of PIONEER's VHS/BETA VCRs. in fact, here's all the ones i know of;
VX-50 SUPERBETA 1985
VX-90 SUPERBETA 1985
VH-900 VHS 1985
VH-930SD S-VHS 1989
VE-D70 video8 8mm 1985

wa2ise
04-20-2008, 05:45 PM
If you can find a good Mitsubishi stereo hifi 4 head vcr, that is what I recommend. I bought a model HS423UR in mid 80's, I still use it a lot and it has not even had a hickup.

I bought a Mitsubishi VCR in 1987 or so, and it never did work right. It would intermittantly go blurry on playback of a tape. As if the higher video frequencies were getting displaced a little in the picture, so edges were no longer sharp, but you'd see soft edges, and 1/4 inch to the right, the sharpness that would have made the soft edges look right. 4 warrenty trips still didn't get it right...

It had nice features, like a switch you could change to allow better playback of a tape that you could feed a second VCR to make a copy and have the copy not look like crap.

wbain
04-24-2008, 05:01 AM
I have to admit, I still have my SONY SLHF-750. Excellent machine!