View Full Version : TV Analyst Questions.....

Tubejunke
12-24-2007, 01:34 AM
I know a few times I have seen a test instrument called TV Analyst mentioned here. I have an opportunity to get two different ones. One is listed as a 21BK 1077B, and the other is a 22BK 1077B.

I mostly deal with 40's-50's Black and white sets. Would this instrument be iof any use to me? Would anyone care to explain a bit about what they do and also what a fair market value for such instruments would be.

They appear to be a two part set up. One part has a bunch of control knobs and the other part looks to have a crt mounted in it. Unless I misunderstood the pics I saw. Maybe the crt was inside the first part with a cover of some sort removed.

There may be multiples of these available. I'm not sure but if anyone is looking I might be able to get a better deal by buying more. I could pick up one for someone perhaps.

I will try to post some pictures.

Tube TV
12-24-2007, 06:48 AM
I have a 1076, I say get one . it will generate a test pattern and also RF IF video vertical horizontal OSC frequency and it also has plate drive , it will create horiziontal output and will indicate if there is B+ boost at the same time . it will also test flybacks and yokes and if I am correct it will also drive them . there are other features that have slipped my mind at the moment that it will do also .
IMHO , the B&K Television analyst is on of the finest and one of the most handiest instruments ever built . mine was NOS when I bought it last year
and it was one of the finest purchases I made that year .
I have since bought one of the first ones made , it's called the Dynascan picture and pattern video generator , it was made around 1957 .
Get one you wont regret it .

kbmuri
12-24-2007, 10:17 PM
It helps a LOT to get a book called "Television Analyzing Simplified" by Milton S. Kiver. and published (c 1958) by B&K Manufacturing Co. The book patiently and exhaustively demonstrates every function of the B&K Analyst with lots of pictures and discussion. It touches on theory a little but for the most part aims at the practical service man and practical troubleshooting techniques using the Analyst. And of course it promotes purchasing the Analyst. The claim is that just it and a good oscilloscope are all you need to diagnose any TV problem. From what I've seen, probably true enough.

A couple of shots from past posts of mine on 3 different sets. The first pic shows a very nicely aligned and linear and level and centered TV (on its side, of course). The other two show various problems while resto work was in progress.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58095&d=1187559690

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57428&d=1186969907

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68890&d=1195618774

I bought two 1076's simultaneously on that ePay place, figuring I'd have to cannibalize one to get the other going. Turned out the first one restored fine with just a recap. The other one I never applied power to. Since then I found one completely MIB and museum grade. I put it under wraps for some later time and place.

The CRT inside displays a blank raster and shines it toward a phototube which picks up the emitted photons and re-mixes the detected beam with the sweep signal and re-generates a video signal (and re-modulates it, IF and RF)for export to your TV under test. Boring until a transparent slide with a black opaque pattern printed on it is placed against the CRT, which interrupts the photons at just the right time to reproduce the slide in the video out. Every electrical signal in this process is available via banana plugs or coax cables on the front panel, such that practically every grid of every tube in your vintage set can be driven by the analyst (instead of by the previous stage). It allows you to inject signals from every stage, front to back, in your TV and see the results ON your TV. By looking at the results you can narrow down to just a few components the problem with your set.

Only thing missing is support for the early split-sound audio. I guess they figured the '46-'49 sets weren't worth the extra circuitry...?

Most annoying drawback is keeping it calibrated (or getting it calibrated in the first place). Garbage in, garbage out on your unit under test doesn't help you troubleshoot much. If you have a good modern signal generator and frequency counter you can calibrate it though.

kbmuri
12-24-2007, 10:25 PM
Oh, the fair market value... 25 dollars. Most of them don't sell on eBay because it costs 35 dollars to ship one.

Tube TV
12-25-2007, 01:49 AM
Thanks for the info on the book , Im going to look for a copy .
I have the owners manual for my 1076 which discusses the basics of the features and test methods , but that would be also nice to get .
The B&K television analyst is really cheap on the used market . The 1076 I got , I was the high bidder at $ 9.99
Tubejunkie , my advice is to get on as close to home as possible , they are real heavy .

kbmuri
12-25-2007, 12:17 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Television-Analyzing-Simplified-by-Milton-S-Kiver-1962_W0QQitemZ110109834629QQihZ001QQcategoryZ50594 QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p163 8.m118

Tube TV
12-26-2007, 03:34 AM
I just sent a email of for a shipping quote , thanks for the link .:banana:

bgadow
12-27-2007, 11:45 AM
I have a pair; the newer works but somewhere there is an off-value cap (I guess) as the vertical is out of shape. They are pretty much all orange drops or equivalent in that one. Not as easy to service as you might think. I wouldn't mind giving the older of the pair a new home.

Tube TV
12-28-2007, 04:19 AM
Does yours have vertical adjustments ? My 1076 was slightly off and I brought it back in with the controls inside .

This is supposed to be one of the first ones made , called the Dyna-Scan
video generator . Can anyone tell me what year it was made ?
I think around 1956 - 57 , Im not certain though .

bgadow
12-28-2007, 12:49 PM
I couldn't correct mine with the controls. I suspect it is an electrolytic causing the problem.

I had one of those older units-mine was very similiar in appearance though not exact. Not sure if it was older or newer. It found a new home with another collector. (it had hv problems)

7"estatdef
12-28-2007, 04:42 PM
I picked up a 1077b about a year ago at a flea market. Didn't really realize what I had gotten till I got it home and gave it a good looking over. Quite a handy piece of gear for generating a test pattern, checking rf and if stages, audio, video, and horizontal stages.
There is a guy that repairs them, but more importantly he has replacement slides for the test patterns. He has a web site. What's the difference between the 1076 and the 1077?

Terry

Tube TV
12-28-2007, 08:17 PM
I picked up a 1077b about a year ago at a flea market. Didn't really realize what I had gotten till I got it home and gave it a good looking over. Quite a handy piece of gear for generating a test pattern, checking rf and if stages, audio, video, and horizontal stages.
There is a guy that repairs them, but more importantly he has replacement slides for the test patterns. He has a web site. What's the difference between the 1076 and the 1077?

TerryIm not certain what the differances were between the 1076 and the 1077 , perhaps the CRT , my 1076 and the old dynascan both have
5BKPV-1 CRT's . What's in your 1077 ? B&K was always making changes and adding different features compaired to the early unit's , I seen one in a book from 1962 , and the author was using a early one , it looked like the Dynascan but there were more controls on it , by that time it was a Television analyst .
The one big disadvantage with the earlier units is that they are long , and if you want to operate the B&K directly infront of the tv you are servicing you need a large sevice bench . the older units were 17 " long . when the 1976 came out it it was only 10-1/2" deep .
Either way they are all great to have .

Does anyone here use a old Dynascan like mine ?

jshorva65
12-29-2007, 10:10 AM

Terry

The next model after the Dynascan Video Generator was the first Television Analyst, model 1075, looks nearly identical to the Dynascan unit, same deep bench footprint. I have a manual for that model. Basically, it has nearly all the features of the 1076 except for the Yoke/Flyback test and may or may not have had color provisions and the color bar slide for gated rainbow output. I'd have to pull the manual out of storage to check that. The 1075, IIRC, used a 5U4 LV Rect. Not sure if HV Rect was 1B3 or 1X2.

I have a 1076 in great shape with slides, no manual. Pretty straightforward to service and maintain. Uses solid state LV Rect diodes instead of 5U4. Octal tubes in Horiz. Out and Damper functions, parallel heaters, 1X2 HV Rect. Has color provisions and the gated rainbow slide.

The 1077 is basically a 1076 with series-heater tubes, transformer with solid state LV Rect for B+, Compactrons in place of Octal tubes, a solid-state sweep triggering circuit driving tube sweep oscillators, UHF output, and dual sweep drive outputs for both tube and solid state chassis. I have a 1077 in very good condition with manual and slides. I have the 1077 set up at my main service bench and the 1076 at my first auxiliary bench. I use a DVD player and RF Modulator when away from the two main benches where my Analysts are. Typically the DVD gets used most during the fine setup adjustments after final assembly. The image from my own computer-drawn test pattern graphic provides the closest thing to a broadcast-quality test pattern I have seen, IMO. The B&K units are real close, but have yet to match the DVD despite side-by-side comparisons with it while calibrating both of my B&K units.

As I understand it, the 1077B is a further update of the 1077 with more solid state circuitry and more features designed to support early solid state chassis.

As for the quality of my test pattern DVD, I've concluded that the only way I could improve upon it (if any improvement were needed) would be to upgrade to newer CAD software with improved algorithms for conversion between Vector and Raster graphics. For my purposes, I find TurboCad 3.0 is adequate and affordable. To spend 4 grand for AutoCAD would be serious overkill.

Tube TV
12-31-2007, 03:39 AM
The 1075 most likely had a 1X2 HV rectifier . My Dynascan has one in it .
What years were the 1075 in production ? My 1076 is a 1965 model .
Who is selling the slides ?
I only have 1 for the 1076 .

7"estatdef
12-31-2007, 07:47 AM
I can't seem to find the web site for the place that was selling the slides. I originaly found them by doing a google search when I first got the 1077 maybe a year or two ago. Sorry my memory isn't very good. I do remember that I paid $10 for the 1077 and it came with a spare set of tubes and manual.

Terry

Tube TV
12-31-2007, 09:46 PM
I kind of recall running into those for sale also
somtimes you see them on ebay . but usually just the main test pattern .
I emailed B&K and they no longer sell them .
It was worth a try .

newhallone
09-05-2008, 10:20 PM
I just picked up a 1076. Unfortunately it did not come with the schematic. I have the manual but the schematic and the parts list are missing. Would anyone happen to have one to share? Also I was wondering if someone could recommend a frequency counter I could use to align the 1076? There are many out there to choose from....

Tube TV
09-05-2008, 11:22 PM
I've go a schematic for mine , I can scan it for you .
PM me with your email address :thmbsp:

newhallone
09-19-2008, 11:02 PM
My 1076 has a 20 UF 350v non-polarized cap. Any sub recommendations? AES has The Solens that are non-polarized but quite pricey. I didn't see any at Just Radio's.

ChrisW6ATV
09-20-2008, 02:10 AM
You may be able to use two 40uF polarized caps in series with their negative pins together and the positives to the rest of the circuit. Do a Google search though; I have not tried this but it seems I had heard of the technique in the past.