View Full Version : Classic TV spotted on classic TV show

Eric H
12-23-2007, 05:45 PM
In the first episode of Man From U.N.C.L.E. there is an RCA 8-PT-7030 sitting on a desk!
The episode is in B&W but in the unaired pilot version it's in color so you get to see the then 8 year old set in brilliant red!
If you look closely you can see the set still has the plastic covers on the feet, something that is always missing at this late date.

For the screen shot they matted in a color picture :D

There was also a brief glimpse of some early 60's portable (Zenith?) that had obviously had the CRT replaced with some flat plastic.

Edit: Just noticed the handle seems to be missing on the RCA.

Hawkwind
12-24-2007, 09:28 PM
In the pilot for the Dick Van Dyke Show called Head of the Family, I spotted an RCA color tv used as a prop in the living room set.

Had this pilot and more episodes aired, it would have most likely been the first time a color tv was used as a prop in a sit-com predating the roundie on the Beverly Hillbillies.

Carl Reiner was into color tv in the early '60s. He wanted to do the DVD show in color as early as the third season but didn't. If the DVD show had a sixth season it would have been in color.

Has anyone ever IDed the TVs on Green Acres? The one that Ziffle pig had and the one in the bedroom of Lisa and Oliver?..

drh4683
12-24-2007, 11:14 PM
I notice TV/radio brands are common to certian TV shows. For example, everything on Bewitched is Zenith, and the Tv sets on the dick van dyke show are all magnavox (some of them remote sets too!), even the radio on the shelf in the kitchen. Dont recall the pilot episide with the rca. Must have missed it. THe DVD show is one of my favorites. The TVs and radios all change throughout the seasons in all the shows, but they keep the same brand. I always thought that was interesting. Same goes for the automobiles "Automobile furnished by the Chrysler Corporation" as would be seen on shows like Gomer Pyle USMC. Or "automobiles furnished by the Ford Motor Company" such as the Andy Griffith show.
They never credited the electronic manufacturers though. They didnt have any impact on the show like a car would, so that would be a good reason not too.

julianburke
12-25-2007, 06:55 PM
Has anyone noticed in one of the Andy of Mayberry shows, the theme was a poor family that needed some home repairs and house painting? In the dining room, on a high shelf (I think above the buffet-very unusual place for any TV at that time) is a 1949 7" Sentinel B&W TV.