View Full Version : Vertical pincushion adj?

freakaftr8
12-17-2007, 04:35 PM
Hey all, as you probably read im trying to get this old Maggie combo up and running. It's a 1966 model, early rectangular with the dreaded 23EGP22 tube. CRT is great (keeping my fingers crossed). Someone said they might have schematics of this U9109 BB Chassis? Do you know where the vertical pincushion adjustment is for this chassis, it's way off! A couple of guys are helping me throught the beast of a chassis on this one, and trust me, it was messed up!
Thanks!

andy
12-17-2007, 07:30 PM
If you mean that the top and bottom are bowed in, then I'm not sure that I've ever seen a TV with a vertical pincushion adjustment. Well, one or two almost flat RCAs from the 80's did, but that was very unusual.

Bill R
12-17-2007, 08:31 PM
I think I have narrowed your set down to a U919 series. Should be Sams 887. Anyway to quote from sams:
" The side pincussion is a fixed correction and no adjustments are provided on this chassis. Top pincussion is factory adjusted and readjustment is seldom needed. If necessary, top pincussion can be corrected by adjusting for a straight horizontal line at the top of the screen. Connect a crosshatch generator to the antenna terminals and adjust the set for a normal crosshatch pattern. Turn L49, pincussion phase coil, for straight line at top of screen. "
The pincussion phase coil is located behind the high voltage adjustment pot, but before you adjust it change the 12ax7 pincussion amp tube located behind the 6gf7 vertical tube just left of the hv cage.
Probably wouldn't hurt to check the componants on the yoke either if the raster has both top and side issues.

Bill R

freakaftr8
12-18-2007, 11:24 AM
Yes, this is exactly the issue, The top, bottom and both sides are bowed in a bit, I notice this especially on a cross hatch generator. I'll try the 12ax7 first, then I will check out that L49 inductor. This must be the big one attached to the rear of the HV cage, on the cage to the left there is a small coil adj just below the HV adj. There is also an adj on the bottom of the cage, looks to be something that the flyback controls. Have not touched these yet.

Thanks!

I think I have narrowed your set down to a U919 series. Should be Sams 887. Anyway to quote from sams:
" The side pincussion is a fixed correction and no adjustments are provided on this chassis. Top pincussion is factory adjusted and readjustment is seldom needed. If necessary, top pincussion can be corrected by adjusting for a straight horizontal line at the top of the screen. Connect a crosshatch generator to the antenna terminals and adjust the set for a normal crosshatch pattern. Turn L49, pincussion phase coil, for straight line at top of screen. "
The pincussion phase coil is located behind the high voltage adjustment pot, but before you adjust it change the 12ax7 pincussion amp tube located behind the 6gf7 vertical tube just left of the hv cage.
Probably wouldn't hurt to check the componants on the yoke either if the raster has both top and side issues.

Bill R