View Full Version : Ugly Capehart Score(?)

kbmuri
12-14-2007, 09:54 PM
I just got these "beauties" home:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200181387338

Bought them for 50 bucks because they were on my route and dropping them in the back of the truck cost me nothing. One of them has a 10BP4 (or FP4) so I figured I'd take the 50-dollar gamble that it might be good, and whatever else comes with it is a bonus. The Capehart sure is filthy and I haven't identified it yet (it's spending the night in the garage so I can de-louse it in the daylight later). The rest of it I can take or leave. In fact I left the 2 big brown ones because I ran out of room on the truck. He had a bunch of old radios too, so I mixed and matched what seemed the most interesting and stopped when the truck was full. My kind of deal, got some interesting stuff for practically free.

If anybody recognizes and needs a part off of these, let me know. I'll identify the CRTs and test them later too.

Eric H
12-15-2007, 01:00 AM
That 10" set is a Motorola, the smaller of the two brown ones is a 51? Philco, I have one just like it.

kbmuri
12-15-2007, 08:50 PM
The CRT is a G.E. 10BP4A. I put the Beltron on it and it scored 90% on emission but the life test was 5 seconds (expected 10 seconds or more). I ran it through the cleaning cycle (not a rejuve cycle). Then it scored 100% on emission and 8-9 seconds on the life test. I expect it to be bright and very useable. Excellent results.

Can anybody ID the CRT in the Sonora metal portable? There's no model number on it, and no tube chart inside or under it. My Sams collection stops around 1951, don't see it in there. The CRT neck and socket have no markings whatsoever, leading me to think it's a rebuild, but I don't want to pull the yoke to see for sure. It tests as NOS on my Beltron (100% emission and 13-14 seconds on the life test). I need to know if the CRT will fit another set of mine. It's a 16 or 17-inch diagonal.

fsjonsey
12-15-2007, 09:54 PM
The CRT is a G.E. 10BP4A. I put the Beltron on it and it scored 90% on emission but the life test was 5 seconds (expected 10 seconds or more). I ran it through the cleaning cycle (not a rejuve cycle). Then it scored 100% on emission and 8-9 seconds on the life test. I expect it to be bright and very useable. Excellent results.

Can anybody ID the CRT in the Sonora metal portable? There's no model number on it, and no tube chart inside or under it. My Sams collection stops around 1951, don't see it in there. The CRT neck and socket have no markings whatsoever, leading me to think it's a rebuild, but I don't want to pull the yoke to see for sure. It tests as NOS on my Beltron (100% emission and 13-14 seconds on the life test). I need to know if the CRT will fit another set of mine. It's a 16 or 17-inch diagonal.
Could be a 17avp4?

kbmuri
12-15-2007, 10:57 PM
I'm giving the Sonora to a fellow AKer who expressed an interest. The debate is whether I need to send the CRT too. If it's a 17avp4, he's covered already and I don't need it either -- worst of both worlds -- so I'll probably just drop it in the basement for a rainy day. If it's a 16RP4 or a 17BP4 or 17HP4 I need to hang onto it for other projects. If it's anything else, he'll need it so I'll send it to him. Anybody got the Sams sheet?