View Full Version : What can the static from a CRT do to your skin?

zenith2134
12-11-2007, 12:54 PM
This may seem like an odd thread, but I'm giving it a shot.

Every since I started messin' with TVs I noticed that if you run your hand along the face of a powered crt, your skin kind of 'absorbs' the static and then your hand has a strange scent to it, as if the static energy messed with your hand. I know this sounds absurd, but the smell is always the same no matter what type of set it is.

I got to thinking :D , could there be some sort of detrimental side effects to the skin from this static? :scratch2:

240sx4u
12-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Please wash your hands after using the restroom....

LOL, not sure. I am curious to know what your talking about.

Kiwick
12-11-2007, 01:52 PM
The "scent" you're talking about is Ozone, generated by the static discharges between the tube face and your hand, and is absolutely harmless.

But, if you touch anything connected to the set's chassis ground with your hands while touching the charged screen with another part of your body (this may happen when you carry a tabletop set with your chest against the screen) your body will provide a quick discharge path from the screen to the chassis and you'll get a beefy shock, i once dropped a set this way

Mark W.
12-11-2007, 02:06 PM
Ozone used to be created in large banks to help keep the tellers alert while counting large sums of money. it is chemically just an Oxygen molecule with an extra electron. O3

MRX37
12-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Actually I did hear of large amounts of ozone causing damage to the lungs. I'm sure though the small amount emitted by the static discharge of a Tv screen wouldn't harm anything.

mhardy6647
12-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Static off the TV screen won't do anything to your skin 'cept make it feel sort of oogie...

radiotvnut
12-11-2007, 04:39 PM
The "scent" you're talking about is Ozone, generated by the static discharges between the tube face and your hand, and is absolutely harmless.

But, if you touch anything connected to the set's chassis ground with your hands while touching the charged screen with another part of your body (this may happen when you carry a tabletop set with your chest against the screen) your body will provide a quick discharge path from the screen to the chassis and you'll get a beefy shock, i once dropped a set this way

Yep, been there and done that a few times. I don't think I've ever dropped one; but, I've said a few choice words!

zenith2134
12-11-2007, 06:33 PM
Wow, thanks for the quick answer guys. So its just 03 huh...this resolved one of my most obscure TV questions hehe.

wa2ise
12-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Being bit of a practical joker, I've gathered up a fair amount of charge off some TV sets we had in the lab. Was wearing rubber sneakers, so i was well insulated. Was in a part of the lab where to get out you had to squeeze past my coworker who was at a computer. Waited until he was done typing on the keyboard. Then squeezed past him. I discharged to him, from my leg to his ass... :D He was from Hong Kong, an area usually humid and thus he wasn't used to static discharge. He :twak: me...

kx250rider
12-12-2007, 11:30 AM
.......And I was told that it's rude to hand someone a charged electrolytic :nono:

Charles

zenith2134
12-12-2007, 12:27 PM
In elementary electronics a kid got kicked out for zapping another student with a 1 farad at 10v charged cap

I am about to go tv hunting wish me luck.

bgadow
12-12-2007, 01:02 PM
I had a teacher in fifth grade who was into conspiracy theories and all that sort of thing. He told the class one day to try this: hold your arm up to the TV screen and change the channel; you will feel the charge. He told us that was a burst of radiation being sent into our arm and that, once in, it could never leave. This guy also taught us sex ed! If I'm warped, perhaps that explains it. (guy is also a distant cousin of mine...)

Kiwick
12-12-2007, 01:11 PM
When i was a kid i had a 1920s phone crank generator, you could easily get over 300 volts AC out of that thing.

Well, i once had an eye flickering, muscle convulsing challenge with my friends using the output from that thing, it's really hard to get past the 5 second mark, the damn thing makes you scream for your mom :D

Cleve
12-12-2007, 01:15 PM
In elementary electronics a kid got kicked out for zapping another student with a 1 farad at 10v charged cap

hahaha, a nerdy 'bad boy'. Probably keeps a small IC board rolled up in his shirt sleeve - and hangs outside the computer room smoking.

zenith2134
12-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Cleve, :lmao: That was him alright. Cept for the ic boards, he had a really nerdy wristwatch, you know the one with the calculator in it.

Bgadow, thats exactly the kind of thing I was asking about... I always thought the 'odor' was some type of skin damage hehe.

clydeselsor
12-12-2007, 05:03 PM
Static off the TV screen won't do anything to your skin 'cept make it feel sort of oogie...

oogie!? :lmao:

markdi
12-12-2007, 07:33 PM
the only way a 10 volt 1 farad cap would shock me is if the person who gave it to me let me keep it

mark D.

zenith2134
12-12-2007, 08:02 PM
Clydeselsor, Merry Christmas Story season! lol. Just saw on TBS that they will be doing their marathon again this year :thmbsp: :D