View Full Version : Cool 1965 video

Charlie
01-19-2004, 03:17 AM
Here's a cool 1965 Motorola portable tv ad as seen on tv 40 years ago!

http://www.motorola.com/General/anniversary/75_vid_1.html?vid=6

peverett
01-19-2004, 11:52 AM
I have two of these sets and both work. They look cute,but are not good performers. There are only 2 IF sections, not 3.

Motorola portables were made fairly cheaply after about 1965 with every thing on the PC board. I have several pre-1965 Motorola 19" B&W portables which are much better made and much better performers(3 if stages). Every thing on these sets is on a metal chassis(same as Zenith).

The only problem with the pre-1965 sets is that they used the wafer style tuner(not drum). These are hard to clean and make work correctly when worn. I believe Zenith used the wafer style also.

Chad Hauris
01-20-2004, 07:10 AM
It seems that the comparison between two vs. 3 IF stages sometimes is really not always a fair one. There are a lot of sets that use 2 high transconductance frame grid IF tubes (6EH7/6EJ7) or a single Compactron with 2 high-gain pentodes and they seem to do as well as 3 of the older lower-gain tubes like 6BZ6.

peverett
01-20-2004, 10:30 AM
I do not remember what tubes are used in the IF at present, but do know that the performance for these sets is much worse than my earlier Motorola portables. Much more interference from adjacent channels(on cable) and worse long distance reception(off cable). The quality of construction is also much cheaper than my earlier Motorola sets.