View Full Version : Canadian brands (and store brands)

Eric C
01-17-2004, 04:04 PM
Does anybody (especially members in Canada) know if various Canadian brands (Electrohome, Canadian Marconi, etc.) were made by other makers? IIRC, at least one model of Marconi was a rebadged Emerson, but I was wondering about others. Also, what about the Canadian store brands (specifically Viking, sold by Eatons). IIRC, there was a Viking color portable on the market in the late 1960's that looked like the GE Porta-Color. Any help would be appreciated.

Eric
Tweed, ON

heathkit tv
01-17-2004, 04:56 PM
Eric, check out the GE PortaPotty page:
http://www.rwhirled.com/portacolor/

A little more than half way down there's mention of a Canadian version.
"This photo of an early Canadian model PortaColor (1120VWD) was sent in by Chris F.. Notice that this TV only has one tuning knob. That's right-- it can only tune VHF stations. While all USA-model PortaColor sets are "all channel", Canada didn't require UHF reception to be avalaible on all TV sets until around 1970. Therefore, I'd assume UHF tuners would have been optional -- at additional cost -- on PortaColor sets in Canada the first few years those sets were offered there."

You'll find pix of 2 sets owned by Chris F ( zappyman@ hotmail.com ) Remove the spaces as needed

Anthony

bgadow
01-19-2004, 02:11 PM
I mentioned awhile back about 2 Sams I came across for what looks like the same identical set, one a Truetone, the other an Electrohome. (roundie color sets) I will post a pic when I find them.

merrylander
01-19-2004, 03:25 PM
You may find the occasional Viking TV, a house brand of the now defunct T.Eaton department stores, mostly made by Electrohome and generally one of their models with some of the extras taken out.

Rob

Morden2004
01-19-2004, 04:58 PM
For what it's worth, there used to be a small Canadian electronics manufacturer (in London, ON as I recall) called Spartan that made re-badged sets for other companies as well as TV's and radios under their own name.

I recall way (way) back while working as an apprentice in a local TV repair shop (before I graduated in electronics :D ) I worked on a very smart Spartan portable TV - around 1961 or 62. It was a vertical chassis set with a transformer-less power supply.

I recall working on quite a few Spartan's - well, do you think it was because I lived in London ON (duh).

Paul

Eric C
01-19-2004, 07:25 PM
Well, I have already learned something here--I never knew that Sparton was a Canadian brand!

captainmoody
01-19-2004, 09:18 PM
I know of Sparton, But thought they only had the plant here in Michigan. Jackson I think it was.
Had a Canadian Philco Predicta and the only difference was the color of the fabric on the front and the "made in canada" marks on the tubes and caps.
The RCA portable color still had the Indiana company address and made in usa stamped in the back. The difference was the Canadian label on the bottom of the cabinet and the absence of an aft switch. In it's place was an "instant pic" label covering the hole.
Wasn't there a law or something covering a percentage of how many parts that were to be of Canadian origin?

heathkit tv
01-19-2004, 09:47 PM
The Sparton that I'm familiar with is still in business but they don't make any consumer electronics anymore. They're back to their original market, OEM supplier to the auto industry (and also a military hardware maker)

Ever hear of the Sparton horn brand name? That's thems.

Anthony

Chad Hauris
01-20-2004, 06:45 AM
Sparton of Michigan is a name made up as a contraction of SPARks withingTON (or Wittington?). Perhaps the Canadian Spartan (spelled with an "A") is a different company?

Morden2004
01-20-2004, 07:05 AM
Chad Hauris said:
Sparton of Michigan is a name made up as a contraction of SPARks withingTON (or Wittington?). Perhaps the Canadian Spartan (spelled with an "A") is a different company?

Thats entirely possible. My memory may not be that accurate after 40 years,

Paul