View Full Version : 1952 Zenith K1812R 3

djpubba
11-07-2007, 11:17 AM
I recently bought one of these at a computer surplus store for $75. It's in nice condition cosmetically. I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether it is B&W or color (I think it's B&W) and whether it should be safe to try powering up?

There is no power cord for it. It looks like there are a couple of sockets which could be the power socket, but neither of them are modern sockets. Is there a place to get a cheap power cords for this model?

Sandy G
11-07-2007, 11:24 AM
It's B&W. Color sets weren't introduced until 1954. DON'T plug it in & turn it on until you've had someone go thru it & check it out. Undoubtedly, it will have bad capacitors which could fail on application of 117V power, & take out the CRT (Picture tube). We'd like to see pics..and, Welcome to AK !

jpdylon
11-07-2007, 11:30 AM
welcome aboard!

As sandy stated, DON'T POWER IT UP until it has been repaired by a competent tech. It will need all new power supply and coupling caps. Powering it up without any service would almost certainly mean its permanent death.

djpubba
11-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the info. I definitely would have plugged it in had there been a power cord, so I'm glad there was not.

Here's a pic!

jpdylon
11-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Cosmetics appear to be very good on that set. I believe the front may be Bakelite plastic, so be very careful not to hit or bang it. It will break like glass.

The set looks to be from around 1954, but I could be wrong. Anyone else care to shed light on the year of this set?

You may also want to update your profile to show where you live. This will give us an idea of who you can send the set to for restoration, or perhaps even a member here would be willing to help you..

Excellent find.

7"estatdef
11-08-2007, 05:28 AM
The Sam's for it is 184-15 which would put it late in 1952.
Terry

bgadow
11-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Reference to the power cord, early on Zenith used a unique design that was similiar to the fat plugs used on old waffle irons and that sort of thing. I have used one of those cords in a pinch but it isn't a perfect fit. Later they switched to the industry standard cheater cord. You can probably find one new through radiodaze.com or tubesandmore.com. The same design was used for decades so if it is that model you shouldn't have much trouble locating one, just make sure it isn't one of the later versions which are polarized. On one early Zenith I have I replaced the old wide-stance socket with the standard type.

kbmuri
11-08-2007, 01:48 PM
http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?product_id=23-090&catalog_name=MCMProducts

sean
11-09-2007, 07:44 AM
I know on the 1950 and 1951 (G & H chassis) sets, the power connector is the same as one-half of a 4 pin tube base. I made a cord to use on the bench using an extension cord and a 4 pin tube socket.

jeyurkon
07-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Well, at least now I know what necrobump means.

The above comment was in response to a posting that has apparently since been deleted or moved.

zenithfan1
07-12-2009, 04:44 PM
nevermind....my post too, and I also edited earlier because what I had to say in response to the deleted post was not so nice.:)