View Full Version : TV Of Tomorrow!

MRX37
11-06-2007, 12:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPHP0QkL130

I haven't seen this in years. In a way, a lot of the things in that cartoon came to pass.

Adam
11-06-2007, 04:51 PM
I liked that, never seen it before either, I searched for more and they had a similar "car of tomarrow" one as well.

Geoff Bourquin
11-06-2007, 10:38 PM
I need to watch it again, but I didn't notice a remote control anywhere.

I love those 50s cartoons. I think that is the peak for cartoons..Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes, Road Runner

MRX37
11-06-2007, 11:12 PM
I need to watch it again, but I didn't notice a remote control anywhere.

No remote was mentioned in the cartoon as far as I know. I think when they made that, they couldn't even fathom a remote control, much less the internet.

Though they got a few things right in some way or another:

I was actually witness to a barber who screwed up somebody's haircut because they were watching a portable TV while cutting the persons hair.

I don't know about physically having a betting counter in a TV, but I think nowadays you could place bets on the internet...?

The TV they showed with it's (overly complex) home antenna, well, rabbit ears essentally did the same job.

And the line "Tomorrow's home will be built around the TV" Nowadays it's the computer, but for awhile that was indeed the case.

That TV encased in a flashlight is probably possible nowadays, same for the cigerette lighter.

Interesting that they didn't think of a remote of some type though...

frenchy
11-16-2007, 10:00 PM
That cartoon was dated 1952 - they already had hard-wired remote controls by that time, so basing one of the cartoon bits on the same thing but only wireless probably wouldn't have been very fruitful for laughs.