View Full Version : Kit TV needs building

Charlie
01-12-2004, 12:19 AM
Here's a TV kit that hasn't been built yet. Looks like you'll have to get your own picture toob.

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2217594374&category=3638

heathkit tv
01-12-2004, 12:48 PM
ARKAY? Obviously a contraction of the initials R and K. Who are/where they? Was this one of those correspondence course sets?

Anthony

VinylHanger
01-12-2004, 08:08 PM
Hmmmmmm...... I wonder when the Plasma screen kits will be coming out? Or a kit for a basic DSP for HT.

heathkit tv
01-13-2004, 10:44 AM
Those kits will be coming out at the same time as when liability lawyers all disappear and when Heathkit gets back into the kit business. :p:

Anthony

andy
01-15-2004, 02:46 PM

heathkit tv
01-15-2004, 03:10 PM
Thanks Andy for posting that.

Checked the address and they were (are?) in lower Manhattan, way downtown near where the World Trade Center was. Couldn't find anything much about them on the web other than they apparently started out as R.K. Radio Laboratories, Inc.

Does anyone know any more about them?

Anthony

Steve D.
01-15-2004, 09:46 PM
Andy,
Nice find on the ad.

Anthony,
R.K. Radio Labs wre located on "Radio Row." That was a neighborhood of several blocks in lower Manhatten with dozens of electronics/radio/tv dealers and parts distributors. You name it in electronics and it could be found there. The whole area was razed in the late 60's to make way for The World Trade center.

heathkit tv
01-15-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Steve D.
Andy,
Nice find on the ad.

Anthony,
R.K. Radio Labs wre located on "Radio Row." That was a neighborhood of several blocks in lower Manhatten with dozens of electronics/radio/tv dealers and parts distributors. You name it in electronics and it could be found there. The whole area was razed in the late 60's to make way for The World Trade center.

Welp, seeing as how I was born and razed in Manhattan (hatched in the late 50's) I spent many a weekend during the late 60's haunting all the war surplus shops on Canal Street buying all manner of useless trinkets. Finally cobbled together a crude flight simulator! Talk about a weird kid.

I do recall some electronics stores along Church St (this become 6th Ave north of Canal) so that's getting near the general area.

So am guessing that ARKAY is long out of business? I kinda miss Lafayette Radio even though they did sell alot of Japanese "junk". Sheesh, who else is old enough to remember when "Made In Japan" was considered the same way most look at things made in China today?

Anthony

Steve D.
01-15-2004, 10:53 PM
Anthony,
I'd bet that ARKAY went the way of a lot of those electronics outfits. Search "Radio Row" and check out some electronic nostalgia.

andy
01-15-2004, 10:55 PM

heathkit tv
01-15-2004, 11:21 PM
Heath is still in business but they don't make kits anymore. As you discovered, they often just repackaged certain kits (old guts, new paint job). Often they were ahead of the curve technincally, and quite often were a good value for the money (or at least had features not available elsewhere at any price).

Here's a great site with lots more detail:
http://www.heathkit-museum.com/history.shtml
http://www.heathkit-museum.com/features/hkarticle1.shtml
Anthony

Chad Hauris
01-16-2004, 08:12 AM
Hey Andy have you got a picture of those supplies? I have some Heath 400v supplies but can't remember the model number. They have a hand wired chassis, 6L6's and OA2's plus a 6X4 and some other tubes, and a green power indicator light in the middle.

Probably the 6L6's are the best device suited to that job...unless there are some transistors (power mosfets maybe) that can pass 400 v at 150 ma. I don't know if these exist or not.

andy
01-20-2004, 02:17 PM

Chad Hauris
01-21-2004, 06:24 AM
Thanks Andy, the ones I have must be older that both of these as they are point to point wired.