View Full Version : Rescuing TV's from the trash

julianburke
10-28-2007, 08:11 PM
Sometimes when I'm out on the road I find something on the side of the road and have to stop and pick it up as I hate to see something thrown out for no other reason than it is not wanted anymore.

What made me sick the other night while prowling around on UTube I found some "piano smashing" blurbs and it just made me sick! What do young people do anymore than destroy something of former beauty??? There were at least a dozen of these on UTube. There was one that the piano sounded & looked pretty good as one of the kids was sort of playing it when another had at it with a sledge hammer. Sickening.

There was another where some young dumb-xxx kids rolled a baby grand piano out of a moving pickup truck going down the road. Sickening.

Sandy G
10-28-2007, 08:22 PM
What was that The Art Of Noise video from 25 yrs ago where they took sledgehammers, skilsaws, & chains to this piano ? Had this VERY weird little girl in full Punk regalia, too..I remember seeing it the 1st couple of times & thinking "WTF is all THIS shite about ?!?"

radiotvnut
10-28-2007, 08:39 PM
Yep, they do the same thing here with TV's. These dumb@$$ kids (and some adults) have no respect for anything! Most of them have never had to work for what they have, and, most of them look down on anything slightly obsolete. I'm sure they wouldn't like it if someone threw a hammer into their new LCD TV that Mommy and Daddy just bought for them. Wait a minute. Maybe they would not give a crap about that, either. Their parents would just buy them a new one! A friend of mine was all the time running idiots away from his trash pile at his TV shop because they always wanted to bust up the TV's on the spot and leave a mess. He always told them that either they take the whole set or leave it alone. I have a hard time finding UNTOUCHED sets at the dump; however, beat-to-death remains are always very easy to find. One of my high school (I graduated in '95) electronics classmates brought an early '70's hybrid 19" RCA portable that he wanted to sell me. I asked him where he found such an old set and he said that particular set replaced the one he shot. He told me that he came home from school one day and didn't like what was on TV; so, he shot it. He was even bragging and laughing about how glass, sparks, and smoke went everywhere. He said his dad even laughed about it. Had I done that to my TV; I would not have been able to sit down for a month. Also, there would have not been another TV sitting in the place of the blown up one. My parents were older and they always taught me to respect other people's property as well as my own. It was this type of respect that kept me from busting up piano's, TV's, or anything else of value. If I couldn't use it; I left it alone for the next guy.

Kiwick
10-28-2007, 08:46 PM
copper scavengers are another problem, they bust the CRT to get the yoke as soon as the set hits the curb...

Sandy G
10-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Oh, yeah...Its so bad here, you just about have to stay in your uncompleted house now to keep the copper wire from getting ripped off..Unreal !

zenith2134
10-28-2007, 09:39 PM
Seen many monitors and TV sets get smashed for fun. Looking on youtube there are countless videos, many of which destroy collectible vintage sets.

Sandy, the Art of Noise song was 'Close to the Edit' I believe. Love my 80s tunes :music:, lol.

Yeah but it is irritating how clueless people can be, especially when it comes to electronic gear.

andy
10-28-2007, 09:58 PM
At my last apartment I had trouble with kids smashing things I was throwing out. I was worried that they would hurt themselves on an imploding CRT and blame me. Fortunatley, with the number of TVs I threw out, they eventually got tired of smashing them.

radiotvnut
10-28-2007, 11:48 PM
Oh, yeah...Its so bad here, you just about have to stay in your uncompleted house now to keep the copper wire from getting ripped off..Unreal !

Copper theft is becoming a major problem here, even on completed structures. As far as TV's, one must get to it within 5 seconds of it being trashed in order to save it from the "copper grabbers."

peverett
10-28-2007, 11:57 PM
Thieves had taken to stealing the outside units of air conditioners here in Texas to get the copper. A few people have came home from work to find that their central AC no longer works due to the outside unit being gone. I have also heard of a restaurant loosing their outside units to theives.

bgadow
10-29-2007, 01:10 PM
The paper recently had an article about a woman being shocked in her swimming pool. After days of tracing it down the power company found that someone had gone through the neighborhood and cut the little ground wires off all the utility poles. I've noticed recently that, in advertisments for farm auctions, they are including piles of scrap that will be auctioned off as a lot. Now, the great old junkyard in the next town has been bought out by a scrap buyer. Everything got crushed and now they will no longer keep parts, just buy-n-crush.

Sadly, with TV sets and with pianos, too, there is little market for most of them. I rode by the town dump Saturday and could see a pair of "black boxes" sitting there; but I can't get rid of the ones I already saved. Despite weeks listed for free on craigslist and freecycle they still sit, cluttering up my shed.

gadget73
10-29-2007, 01:18 PM
Its not new and shiny, therefore it must be junk. Good for us folks who don't mind older equipment that still does it's job, but bad for the environment because of all the waste. They should have core charges on TV sets, that way people would exchange the old set for a new one, and the old one could get recycled properly instead of just adding some more hazardous material to the local landfill.

I don't mind older stuff, and I'll hold on to things I don't even want just to find someone to give them to. I hate throwing things out, but I'm happy to give away stuff to someone who needs it. I actually do that with most things in my posession, almost all my electronics are used, my vehicles are used, heck even my dogs are used. Adopted because they weren't able to be cared for. I'm one of those rare people who fixes things till it just can't be fixed anymore. Once I'm done with it, its really done for.

fujifrontier
10-29-2007, 09:15 PM
copper scavengers are another problem, they bust the CRT to get the yoke as soon as the set hits the curb...

oh lord, i HATE those people... they busted up a real nice sony console the other day.

site123a
10-29-2007, 10:30 PM
When I was in high school, I remember one day walking to school. Half way to school I heard two bangs, then a loud pop, followed by kids running away and laughing. I didn't went to investigate, but after school finished I walked by where I heard the noise. I saw that some stupid kids took an early 80s RCA and droped it on its face three times, I was a little surprise that it took them three tries, especially since they were dropping it on concrete...