View Full Version : Thomson leaves the CE business and hands RCA brand to Audiovox.

jedo1507r
10-18-2007, 10:05 AM
http://www.thomson.net/EN/Home/Press/Press+Details.htm?PressReleaseID=41597dfa-5e30-492f-9aa8-713640ef260c

freakaftr8
10-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Is this good or bad for the RCA name?? I did some research and it seems that Audiovox is an american owned and operated company, at least RCA will be back home...

bilboda
10-18-2007, 11:32 AM
Who knows, maybe they'll get theit act together and hook up with some of the good Chinese mfr's and actually sell some quality mass market gear. A new concept for both companies.

bgadow
10-18-2007, 12:33 PM
I was thinking that Thomson, or maybe just the RCA part of it, had been sold awhile back to a Chinese company. No mention of that here. The RCA name has really been put through the wringer; still a little cache left, I guess. It will never be what it was.

Findm-Keepm
10-18-2007, 12:53 PM
You're right - Thomson and TCL manufacture RCA TV's and DVD players in China. Maybe the sale will align Audiovox and TCL...

Thomson to Merge Its TV Business with Chinese Manufacturer in Carmel, Ind.

COPYRIGHT 2003 The Indianapolis Star

Byline: Dana Knight

Nov. 4--After enduring a manufacturing-to-service shift, layoffs and voluntary buyouts, hundreds of remaining Thomson employees in Carmel will face even more changes after Monday's announcement that their company is merging with Chinese manufacturer, TCL International Holdings.

The joint venture, called TCL-Thomson Electronics, will combine Thomson's and TCL's TV and DVD-player units to create the world's largest manufacturer of television sets.

The company, which could sell 18 million TVs annually, is expected to generate revenues near $3.5 billion. Thomson, which sold 7 million TVs worldwide in 2002, will contribute its television-making facilities in Mexico, Poland and Thailand to the new company as part of the deal.

"We don't know what the future will be, what TCL will want to do," said Thomson spokesman Dave Arland. "We do know this is an aggressive but appropriate way to address a competitive threat, more than doubling the size of our television business. It means change,...

kx250rider
10-19-2007, 12:01 PM
I wonder if there's anything left of RCA? With the music recording label business down the tubes, and no consumer electronics, is it gone altogether now? (I know the RCA name brand is still here as pointed out by this thread, but how about the actual corporation?) Does GE still have part of it? That is; any legacy of Victor Talking Machine Company or Radio Corp of America?

Charles

Whirled One
10-20-2007, 04:23 PM
That is; any legacy of Victor Talking Machine Company or Radio Corp of America?

Well, there's at least one part of Victor Talking Machine still alive and kicking-- namely its old Japanese subsidiary (Victor Company of Japan), more commonly known as "JVC" here in the USA (since they don't have the rights to use the "Victor" name or the Nipper logo trademarks in the USA). ...And yes, they still use the "Victor" name and Nipper logo on products for their home market.
[ http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/ ]

Odd that an early foreign-sales subsidiary ended up outliving its parent company by so long.

[Too bad amazon.co.jp won't ship electronics to the USA; I've always thought it'd be kinda fun to have a modern CD player or radio with the old Victor name on it...]

Sandy G
10-20-2007, 04:34 PM
General Sarnoff must be spinning in his grave...

RaymondLeggs
10-21-2007, 06:27 PM
General Sarnoff must be spinning in his grave...

:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

rca2000
10-22-2007, 05:01 AM
No, real stereos DIM the lights,(in the room) and make them "flash" with the music!!

jedo1507r
10-22-2007, 01:14 PM
Philips and Thomson (or was it RCA China) share factories in China, which was a bit awkward seeing similarities to some of their products.

It would be interesting to see Audiovox running this brand, since RCA has its brand on licensed products (car stereos) for a while now.

http://home.rca.com/EN-US/Rcahome.html

mr_fixer
10-22-2007, 01:27 PM
Speaking of Defunct brands, Did you know that a division of McMurdo Silver is still in business. It is the McMurdo Ltd. of the UK, they make Marine gear, GPS search and rescue beacons.

Einar72
10-29-2007, 04:26 AM
I believe BMG of Germany acquired the RCA Victor catalog some time ago. I hope they enjoy every bar of Spike Jones' Der Fuhrer's Face :lmao: