View Full Version : Vertical height shrinking

freakaftr8
10-15-2007, 11:06 AM
Hey all, Im thinking that its a cap but not too sure. As I have been tweaking the gnomes out of my ctc-16, the height has been shrinking slowly, now the vert height knob is cranked all the way. Lookin into the schematica I noticed a paper power cap attached to the board and to chassis ground. This cap is a 2kv .001 mfd. All my research boils down to this being bad. Anyone else had this problem yet? I also noticed the left side of the CRT getting green on the blue hues, it's now totally ingolfed the left side of the crt. Im stumped as it doesnt seem to be a degausing issue. Still awaiting the crt tester. The guy shipped it to Japan on accident. lol
Thanks

bgadow
10-15-2007, 12:13 PM
If you have the chassis loose, check for a resistor between the vert. lin. and the height controls. It tends to go open.

John Marinello
10-15-2007, 01:49 PM
You should have a decent B&W picture when the color level is set to minimal. If the green (or any color) is still there, then it's a purity issue, and an alignment is in order.

Arkay
10-15-2007, 01:54 PM
I remember that shrinking thing. It happened to the wicked witch when they threw that bucket of what seemed like water on her ("I'm melting! I'm melting!"), thus proving it is just as dangerous to let magic water into electronics as it is to let magic smoke out!

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D Hope you get the problem solved easily and soon. :yes:

EDIT: Oh, yeah, the witch had a bad cap, too... tall, pointy thing that went flat on the bottom end.

MRX37
10-15-2007, 04:32 PM
Probably a bad cap. I've had a bad cap collapse the vertical on a TV before.

In any case, replacing the suspect cap with a new one can't hurt. If the old one isn't bad yet, it will probably go bad soon.

freakaftr8
10-30-2007, 01:30 AM
Well the cap on the bottom of the vertical PC board is getting changed out tomorrow. This has been a head scratcher, if it's not bad, then it's gotta be an orange drop.. What is this huge 1"diameter by 2"long yellow cylnder attached to the board, is that an electrolytic? It looks like an axial cap.... If anyone has a ctc-16, have they had to change this? My vertical height is dropped 1 1/2" on top and bottom and holding for the last 2 weeks.

blue_lateral
10-30-2007, 01:48 AM
There is an electrolytic on the vertical board, usually an axial cardboard tubular one that is looking mighty suspicious. Also check the voltages on your low-voltage power supply.

John

freakaftr8
10-30-2007, 02:00 AM
Hey John, well I am getting my millimeter soon, all the filter caps on this set have been changed out last month, this cardboard tubular cap, it's bigger than anything else on that board. Ill get to ordering a replacement. Thanks for the advise, now if I can only figure out the smearing chroma issue...

freakaftr8
10-31-2007, 04:57 PM
Well, I changed out that axial cardboard cap to no avail. Still shrunken. How and where do you test the low voltage power on the vertical board?

freakaftr8
10-31-2007, 05:01 PM
Oh and I might add that the green smearing to the right is there while the color is turned off... Align the purtiy? The left side of the crt has gone green.. You can see it in black and white and when there is blue in that area. Looks ok in red and green and white. Tried everything in degausing including a soldering iron.