View Full Version : I couldn't leave it behind to die....I just couldn't.

jpdylon
10-14-2007, 11:18 PM
I found this Chromacolor II at a thrift store about a month ago. It is from 76, and was a good cosmetic shape. Best of all it kinda worked. It was 24 bucks but I didn't want to grab it at the time because it had no room for it.

Fast forward to today. I went back and saw them clearing out the electronics section. After 30 days if an item does sell they toss it in favor of new stuff coming in. THe zenith was due to be trashed, and I couldn't let that happen. The manager didn't want to just give it away now that I had shown interest in it, so I paid the 24 bucks.

It barely fit in the back of the 64 valiant, but I got it home.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64873&stc=1&d=1192421887

The VHF was dead. I found that the piece of coax they used for an antenna connector had a break inside. I replaced the entire piece and installed a standard female F connector instead of the wacky male-female one that was on there. I have VHF again.

The CRT tests new and pegs all three meters on my beltron. I think I'm going to make this into my video game set for my old nintendo and atari.

The screen controls will need replacement. The Blue screen control is completely useless. Its either full on or full off. If anyone has a replacement from a parts set or lying around, please let me know.

Wasn't this called the "Panorama" or something like that?

mr_fixer
10-14-2007, 11:29 PM
Excellent find! When you get all of the bugs out of it, i would use it for something better than a Atari, maybe Playstation 1 or XBOX but thats just me.

caddisgeek
10-14-2007, 11:47 PM
Looks like a perfect ATARI tele to me!

radiotvnut
10-14-2007, 11:53 PM
You might try some deoxit on the screen controls first.

Arkay
10-15-2007, 01:23 AM
Nice save! You've earned some vintage-TV Karma points with that! :D

kx250rider
10-15-2007, 01:50 PM
That one looks good, and it's very rare to see that non-remote model! Coincidentally, I just brought home the Panorama that I got free on CL a couple months ago. Mine is nice except for the speaker cloth, and the usual busted wheels. How are the wheels on yours?

The screen controls are often shot, and you can use any screen controls from any Chromacolor or ChromacolorII. You might just have to play with extending the terminal lugs. Tip when removing and reinstalling: Use a POWERFUL soldering iron or even a soldering gun.

Charles

waltchan
10-15-2007, 08:01 PM
It barely fit in the back of the 64 valiant, but I got it home.

This may be a stupid question, but what is so great with the Dodge Dart/Plymouth Valiant with the slant 6 engine?

zenith2134
10-15-2007, 08:35 PM
The slant 6 is the engine which 'Will not die' according to most of the car folks around here. I got a 64 impala with a straight 6, but the slant6 from dodge is the infamous one. Kinda off topic, no?

jeffn
10-15-2007, 08:57 PM
I like how the curve of the cabinet gives a 'panoramic' effect, but the actual screen is just like every other crt ............

gadget73
10-15-2007, 09:15 PM
This may be a stupid question, but what is so great with the Dodge Dart/Plymouth Valiant with the slant 6 engine?

Everything, but that discussion belongs in another forum :)

Nice score on the old tv. I love the retro corner cabinet design.

waltchan
10-15-2007, 10:03 PM
The slant 6 is the engine which 'Will not die' according to most of the car folks around here. I got a 64 impala with a straight 6, but the slant6 from dodge is the infamous one. Kinda off topic, no?
Does "will not die" means that the Slant 6 car will always start and go forward no matter what day and time it is, and it has a lifetime gurantee on the powertrain? Does the "will not die" engine also apply to 1987 Dodge Ram pickup (last year for the Slant 6)?

Sorry for changing topic here, but it will be the last time I will mention slant 6.

Findm-Keepm
10-15-2007, 10:14 PM
Nice score - those were/are a pain to balance when carrying....be careful!

Now for the off-topic stuff:

We had a 1963 Valiant with the small (173?) Slant 6 - gave us 173,000 miles before she was done. Great engine - easy to work on, even easier to learn to drive with it!

Cheers,

jpdylon
10-15-2007, 11:28 PM
That one looks good, and it's very rare to see that non-remote model! Coincidentally, I just brought home the Panorama that I got free on CL a couple months ago. Mine is nice except for the speaker cloth, and the usual busted wheels. How are the wheels on yours?

The screen controls are often shot, and you can use any screen controls from any Chromacolor or ChromacolorII. You might just have to play with extending the terminal lugs. Tip when removing and reinstalling: Use a POWERFUL soldering iron or even a soldering gun.

Charles

I am definitely familiar with removing the screen controls :thmbsp: If you don't use a good iron you'll melt the plastic retainers.

Only one wheel came apart on this set. the rest are still working. I have the wheel parts and I can press it on there, but as soon as the caster changes direction it comes apart. I may find a way to stick new casters on there.

......and yes the slants before 76 don't die. After 76 they started building them cheap with cast cranks and flimsy parts.

My valiant has turned over more than once and its still going strong. Only uses a quart every 3k or so.