View Full Version : Tube Audio vs. Tube Video

Kamakiri
01-02-2004, 06:57 PM
Now here's an interesting thought....

Since tube brands obviously matter to people involved in the sport, to the hardcore television people, does the brand of tube make a difference in a television set? Does one brand of tube give better color saturation, or a more crisp picture versus another? Other than positive swing on the test meter, what else do brand-dedicated people look for in a television tube? We all see those BS ads from TV mags from 50 years ago talking about whose tube was best, but what's the real story?

Tube audio guys feel free to chime in here too :)

Celt
01-02-2004, 08:57 PM
In my experience, some manufacturers build better tubes of certain varieties. IE: I feel that TungSol made a superior 6L6GT/5881 sounding over the G-E, Sylvania and RCA's I tried. I'll take some Sovteks or Svetlana's over NOS on some tubes too due to a recurring problem with microphonics or durability. So, it would make sense that in receiving tubes that some may be better than others. A person would probably drive themselves crazy (and into the poor house) trying different brands in some of the old color chassis!

Big Dave
01-03-2004, 07:14 AM
For TV, I try to stick with GE, RCA or Sylvania. I know many of the manufacturer branded tubes (Magnavox,Zenith, etc) were made by one of the three. I have several SHARP branded tubes in my junk box. I don't know who made them and only use them as a last resort (most of the Sharps in the box are series string).

I have not noticed any difference in color saturation or anything else TV related when I switched tube brands. If the tube tests good, it stays there, regardless of branding. If it fails in circuit, then I swap it. I have had some tubes fail in one set, but work fine in another, so I don't toss any tube unless it's obviously bad, or has enough H-K leakage to make it questionable.

I know I might get dinged for this, but I have GE, RCA and maybe a Philco tube living in my HH Scott amp. It works fine and I'll eventually recap it. I've not had trouble with microphonics or anything else weird. In fact, I've only replaced two tubes in the years I had the Scott (5AR4 and 12AX7).

VinylHanger
01-03-2004, 01:24 PM
No dings from me. I use whatever I have in mine. I am happy if it works :)