View Full Version : first portable Solid state sets

wiseguy
10-08-2007, 05:30 AM
OK..before i post a pic of a magazine article from like 1960 about this Topic..
everyone tell me which manufacturer came out with the first solid state sets,as we know the philco safari was first correct??..(B&W sets)
and next was.....???..:scratch2:
hehe
terry

Sandy G
10-08-2007, 06:53 AM
Prolly that Sony 8-301W, or whatever the model # was...That bad boy has eluded me ever since I got into TVs...Think it went on the market in time for Christmas, 1959...

jpdylon
10-08-2007, 10:50 AM
The sony is a cool looking set, and will go for some coin if its in good cosmetic shape.

I have not seen one working. The germanium devices were unstable, and from what I've read the things were on the bench most of their lifetime --whereas some of the safaris are still working today even with original parts!

kx250rider
10-08-2007, 11:12 AM
I think the first portable color solid state set (we're not counting the HV rect. since the Safari has 2 tubes,) was the Sony KV-7010UA. It was a 7" portable from about '67. Very rare. I've only ever seen one.

Charles

andy
10-08-2007, 12:30 PM

wiseguy
10-08-2007, 04:06 PM
ok i guess i should have said in order who came out with the first B&W sets..??..LOL.. there is more to this and i will post after i see what everyone thinks..i will post my findings soon..
unless what i have read is wrong..i also thought sony had the first SS set..(B&W that is)..
I have to scan a few things in the meantime..:)
:scratch2:

wiseguy
10-08-2007, 04:19 PM
this magazine if you can see the date is from november of 1961..it states inside (2nd pic) under the picture of the sony set itself (just below pushbuttons) that this is the 3rd place of solid state sets..if you can read and enlarge the text it gets interesting.. they say that philco safari is first,the Motorola "astronaut" is 2nd and then the sony..
i didnt know motorola had a solidsate set at that time.. is this true???

compucat
10-09-2007, 07:05 AM
I would have to say the first practical and reliable solid state portable tv would be the Sony 5-303W. The fact that there are so many still around has got to tell you something.

zenith2134
10-09-2007, 10:07 AM
I inherited a late 60's Sony b&w once, but I took it in the house and it was infested with ants from being stored in a garage for about 20 years. I threw it out :nono::no: I know, I always regretted it. It was the type with the square black case, probably 9 or 8 inch screen, and tuners arranged horizontally on the bottom of the set. Probably Solid state, but I am just guessing. The tv actually worked very well, without any repir or adjusting. What a shame, huh.

zenith2134
10-09-2007, 10:09 AM
It was the one on the right...The Pop Tv http://www.tvhistory.tv/1969-SONY-Brochure-1.JPG wish i still had it. Is it a rare one?

bgadow
10-09-2007, 12:23 PM
I've caught a couple references to the Motorola Astronaut, but have never seen one. I recall someone on here had a fairly early Magnavox console bw that was solid state, maybe early 60s?

jhalphen
10-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Hello to All,

1) *A Watchman sized TV developped in 1966 by a Motorola engineer to demonstrate the possibilities of transistors.

Courtesy my friend Frank Guenthoer Germany)
Visit his site entirely devoted to pocket TVs and #1 worldwide. Click on the British flag for the English version:

http://www.taschenfernseher.de/

*I had to reduce the resolution for the forum. If you are interested in the full size, easily legible article, drop me a line with your Mail address and i will send it directly to you.

2) The Sinclair MicroVision prototype, presented in 1963. This model never made it to market and the first Sinclair commercialized (MTV-1) came out 3 years later and was profoundly different.

3) Sony Trinitron KV-7010 picture, for Charles KX250.

Best Regards

jhalphen
Paris/France

wiseguy
10-09-2007, 03:18 PM
thanks for the replys back..But what i have been trying to find out is if it is true what the magazine article states..First in order of Black and White solid state sets,
1) Philco safari (1959)
2) Motorola Astronaut.(1960).(this is the one i am interested in finding out about.):scratch2:
3) the Sony 8-301W (1961)..
I have been told different things over the few years that Sony was first,and others tell me the philco was the first..so now I see it is truely the philco safari was first THEN the Motorola Astronaut..and 3rd the sony.
..anyone have the motorola astronaut?,must be a rare set as i have never seen one up for sale
thanks!

mr_fixer
10-09-2007, 04:28 PM
I Googled Motorola Astronaut, and i found a link to motorola's
history. the Astronaut was a 19 inch portable, you can see a tiny pic. of it in this PDF page. Look at the listing for 1960.
www.motorola.com/mot/doc/6/6800_MotDoc.pdf