View Full Version : What do I need to hook up an antique tv to a dvd player ?

Chucklbunny
10-04-2007, 11:10 AM
HI Guys...
I have another question for you all. What do I need to hook up an antique tv to a dvd player? I have a 51 Motorola 17T13 and would like to watch old movies on it so I am trying to find out the correct way to watch them. Is there a piece of equipment I need to do this ? I already have the dvd player so what else do I need ?

Thanks everyone !

Charles:scratch2:

spartanmanor
10-04-2007, 11:25 AM
I am not sure of the name but before cable was standard you would hook an adaptor to the antenna screws on the tv.

The only thing I could find that is close as a reference is this switched adaptor. Which would work. I think that Radio Shack should have what you need.

http://www.gamerepaircenter.com/button_images/Atari%20TV%20Switch.JPG

datkatz
10-04-2007, 11:38 AM
...you need an RF modulator to change the audio and video output of the DVD player into an RF signal (channel 3 or 4) that the TV can recognize. Then, you need a twin-lead-to-coax matching transformer to convert the RF modulator's coax output into the 300 ohm twin-lead the old set accepts.

jpdylon
10-04-2007, 11:40 AM
The switched adapter will only work if the DVD player has an RF generator in it. Just about none of them do.

What i would suggest is finding an RF Modulator. This will take the A/V signal from the DVD player and change it into a signal on channel 3 or 4 that the TV can use.

Be aware that due to the age of your set you may get alot of buzz in the sound, picture rolling, or retrace lines. This is due to the excessive signal from the adapter that the TV isn't used to. Sometimes a touchup of the AGC control fixes this. The retrace line problem may require a vertical blanking circuit modification.

bgadow
10-04-2007, 11:55 AM
I have an adaptor that I bought at a freight salvage store for around $10. I don't think they sell for much more than that in a regular store. Check your favorite local "big mart" or maybe radio slack. Or-get an old vcr and use that. Most of them I've seen can take the input from the dvd player and output it to the tv, and it wouldn't matter if the vcr would actually play a tape or not. This could also allow you to use the vcrs remote to change channels. If you go to buy a used vcr for that purpose check first to make sure it has the proper inputs. Maybe some of them didn't.

blue_lateral
10-04-2007, 12:42 PM
If youre gonna buy a DVD plyer for this purpose, it pays to do your research and find one that can have it's copy protection turned off. On many old sets, it will display on the screen as bright sections of retrace line fading in and out.

John

Fred Sanford
10-04-2007, 01:08 PM
HI Guys...
I have another question for you all. What do I need to hook up an antique tv to a dvd player? I have a 51 Motorola 17T13 and would like to watch old movies on it so I am trying to find out the correct way to watch them. Is there a piece of equipment I need to do this ? I already have the dvd player so what else do I need ?

Thanks everyone !

Charles

Some of the combo VHS/DVD players have the DVD aud & vid available out of the RF out jacks. Not that I'm recommending any of the combo units, but I've installed a couple dozen of the Sonys and only maybe a dozen came back broken...OK, maybe I'm not recommending the combo units at all. But, they do what you want...until they break.

je

Dan Starnes
10-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Yeah,, I use a combo unit on my stuff. Works great for bout a year now.
Dan

wa2ise
10-04-2007, 07:55 PM
As you're feeding a black and white Tv set, use the luma signal (usually avaliable on the "S-video" output jack, which most all DVD players have. Also usually avaliable on the green RCA jack (component video) when the player is set for regular interlace scan NTSC). This avoids the color subcarrier checkerboard pattern crawlies you might see if your black and white TV is able to produce a sharp picture (most B&W sets before 1954 could do that).

Dave S
10-04-2007, 08:33 PM
HI Guys...

I use a very sophisticated piece of equipment known as a "dead VCR" :)

Take said dead VCR (mechanically dead but electrically alive) and set it for "line in", feed with baseband video and audio, take RF out to TV antenna in via a 75 ohm to 300 matching transformer. Voila: sophisticated, suave and (best of all) free!

If for some strange reason you don't already have a dead VCR, let me know. I probably have one (or a dozen) laying around.

--Dave

MRX37
10-04-2007, 09:09 PM
I was going to suggest the VCR option too. If you have one with composite video inputs, it's the cheapest way to go.

Another option if you want to get creative, or are going for a super authentic look is to buy a hobby TV transmitter. I have one I built from a kit that works for VHF. Composite video and the audio hook into it, and it broadcasts on whatever channel it's tuned to.

Andyman
10-04-2007, 09:13 PM
...you need an RF modulator to change the audio and video output of the DVD player into an RF signal (channel 3 or 4) that the TV can recognize. Then, you need a twin-lead-to-coax matching transformer to convert the RF modulator's coax output into the 300 ohm twin-lead the old set accepts.

Yep, that's the exact ticket, but that "dead VCR" trick is so much more our kind of solution.:thmbsp:

Eric H
10-04-2007, 09:23 PM
Yep, that's the exact ticket, but that "dead VCR" trick is so much more our kind of solution.:thmbsp:

Ahh yes, but VCR's take up soo much room compared to RF Modulators. :zoom:

fsjonsey
10-05-2007, 02:07 AM
I'm using a digital cable box on my Zenith. Has a audio level control and a switched outlet, both of which can be controlled with a remote.

Tube TV
10-05-2007, 04:35 AM
those rf modulators were selling on ebay for 9.95 if I recall .
Please forgive me if im wrong .

cbenham
10-05-2007, 01:20 PM
As you're feeding a black and white Tv set, use the luma signal (usually avaliable on the "S-video" output jack, which most all DVD players have. Also usually avaliable on the green RCA jack (component video) when the player is set for regular interlace scan NTSC).

This is a great idea and works really well. It turns a fuzzy picture full of color crosstalk artifacts into a very sharp, clear B&W picture. Thanks for the tip.

There are copy protection artifacts that make the picture shake, rattle and roll; trying to find a 'scrubber' box to put inline between the player and the Ch 4 modulator so the old 1948 Philco will be happy.

andy
10-05-2007, 05:44 PM

fujifrontier
10-05-2007, 09:01 PM
and how would one convert Svideo to old-tv connection?

Fred Sanford
10-06-2007, 06:33 AM
and how would one convert Svideo to old-tv connection?

There are breakout cables for this, so you can run S-Vid over 2 x R59. You'd simply connect only one of the breakouts. All the ones I've used terminate in BNC connectors, I'd assume there are others in the world (RCA).

je