View Full Version : i hate old tvs

SamDogBenzo
12-21-2003, 02:40 PM
i am a lurker on this site, but i feel that i must finally post something.

i hate junky old tvs. they suck, and they are bad for the enviroment. theres lead in the glass an d it hurts the earth.

i seen some old tvs the other day in the trash and i got out of my car and smash them.

go to hell old tvs/

Earthfriend!!!!!

Eric H
12-21-2003, 02:47 PM
Hey look, a Troll! :finger: :finger:

Morden2004
12-21-2003, 02:59 PM
You meant "droll", didn't you? :D

Vintage TX
12-21-2003, 03:18 PM
It's Christmas Earthfriend, be nice :)
:smshot:

Steve D.
12-21-2003, 04:34 PM
I'm sure SamDog :mad: feels much better after getting this off his chest.
May you all (including SamDog:mad: ) have a happy stress free hoilday.:p:

Charlie
12-21-2003, 05:58 PM
Earthfriend,

You know, you do have a good point there about the lead in the glass. Also, if i am not mistaken (Rob, Eric, Doug... back me up on this if i am right), isn't there some kind of dangerous chemical or gas inside those picture tubes? Anyway, keep this in mind the next time you smash those sets... you are breaking those tubes and releasing this bad stuff into the atmosphere, not to mention the fact that you are taking a really bad chance of flying glass causing injury to yourself. If you break a tube and it throws glass in your face, that could really f*uck up your day.

There are currently businesses and agencies trying to come up with a solution for properly disposing old CRTs. The biggest problem is cost to the person wanting to get rid of the set. They could pay as much as 20 dollars to get rid of an old set.

You can't really point the finger at something like this. I realize you are probably very envorinmentally oriented, but keep in mind that you yourself probably drive a car. Unless it is completely electric, you are causing harm to the ozone.

Also, you would drive on a road. People don't normally see this, but our roads are one of the biggest polluters. That black top road is constantly seeping oil into the ground because it is made of asphalt. Yes, it is EXTREMEMLY gradual seepage, but think of how many miles of blacktop roads cover this planet. It would be a pretty big number I'm sure. That's why it is common to see a fine sheen of oil floating on the road when it rains... especially on newly-covered roads. That's from the oil in the blacktop. Keep that in mind when you walk or drive on these nice smooth roads.

If you use electricity in your home, you are contributing to pollution. Power plants cause pollution in one way or another. Unless you have solar panels or windmills running all of the power in your home, then you are polluting!

Now days, we all try to do our part to cut down on pollution. Many of us recycle plastic or glass every week with the city garbage pick-up. We take our old oil from our cars to the station so it can be recycled instead of throwing it away. We come up with better ways of doing things and pass laws protecting the planet and the other inhabitants of it. This list could go on and on.

For old TV sets, well, look at it this way... us weirdos here on the vintage TV forum are keeping these vintage sets out of our landfills. When we get them, 9 times out of 10 they don't work. So, what do we do? We RECYCLE them. We put them back into good operating condition (and take a damn good bit of pride in it). We ARE NOT taking them out and busting picture tubes which would be releasing all of the nasty shit you say you are so concerned about into our environment!

So, before you go bad-mouthing old TVs, keep in mind that you are making our pollution problem worse by breaking that tube! That's a really DUMB thing to do! I would think that anyone concerned about the environment would have more common sense than that! Also, if you have ever thrown a TV in the trash because it was broke, then you are polluting... because it WILL end up in the landfill. Instead, take your set to a local repairman to have it fixed. Not only are you cutting back on pollution, but you are also keeping some small-time repairman in business so he can provide for his family!

If you go out and buy a BRAND-NEW TV, it too will have lead in the glass. It's likely that it's less than an old set, but it's still there! It's protecting YOU from harmful radiation. So, if you are watching TV, keep that in mind. Perhaps you need just stop watching television altogether.

Oh, more more thing... you can kiss my ass and have a Merry Christmas!

Charlie T.
Vintage Television Recycler

Celt
12-21-2003, 06:39 PM
Wonder if he posted the same kind of message on a "battery" forum somewhere? :D

RuSsMaN
12-21-2003, 07:02 PM
Charlie, don't waste your breath.

I find this almost hilarious. I mean, I've seen plenty of trolls hit audio boards, regarding different brands of speakers and of course the ever-present 'wire' debate, but a vintage TV troll?

That's hilarious!!! What the hell kind of life does THIS dude have? Agreed on the Battery forum, HA! Maybe he will hit the 'quilting' forum next, stating how it's not worth the time and effort, when he just buy a blanket from Wally Mart for $10.

What an effin crackpot!

Cheers,
Russ

Vintage TX
12-21-2003, 08:20 PM
A Troll :eek:

opt80
12-21-2003, 09:10 PM
I find it utterly ridiculous that a person's first post is pure drivel.My hat is off to Charlie,good answer(clap,clap)
I hope our lurker has satisfied his eco-political views and has moved on.Move on unless you have something positive to say.

opt80

rca2000
12-21-2003, 11:04 PM
First I want you to know that most of the tv's we seek to find DO NOT have leaded glass, that was put into picture tubes in around 1968-70, IN RESPONSE TO THE X-RAY SCARE , IN 1968!! We look mainly for tv's from the 40's to the mid 60's, and NONE of them have leaded glass!! SO, STICK WITH WHAT YOU KNOW, GO PROTEST A REFINERY, OR POWER PLANT, OR SOMETHING, AND LEAVE US TV/ AUDIO COLLECTORS ALONE!!!!! Your modern tv has FAR more lead in it, than our older ones, ESPECIALLY if it is a Sony.

We in this hobby have a hard enough time finding our treasures, and we dont need idiots like you destroying them for us( and polluting the land when you do it!)

So,lighten up, and have a merry Christmas( OH, im' sorry, I mean Holiday season, winter solstice, or whatever politically correct term your crowd uses nowdays)

On second thought I'M not politically correct, MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Vintage TX
12-21-2003, 11:10 PM
Maybe he is a tree-hugging troll ?:p:
http://www.thebackpew.com/ole/images/treehugging.jpg

Kamakiri
12-22-2003, 05:59 AM
This troll's time has been cut short :twak:

PM me if you'd like his email address.

Big Dave
12-22-2003, 04:43 PM
What Charlie and everyone else said goes for me too. Idiots like you make it harder for us to find sets to restore. We don't need crap like yours in this forum, so go away and don't come back.

Have a very Merry Christmas and kiss osama bin laden's big fat ass.

:butt1:

Marlin Mackley
12-22-2003, 07:27 PM
Way to tell 'em, Charlie and all!. Vintage TX, if trolls attract halter tops like that I wanna be one!
Marlin:D

Vintage TX
12-22-2003, 07:58 PM
Yes, she is grabbing his ear instead for that "nose" but it looks funny :D :naughty:

Stlouisian
12-22-2003, 08:42 PM
Why does the internet always seem to attract nutz!

Vintage TX
12-22-2003, 09:19 PM
Because people are nutty ! :p:
:boxing: :grnbounce :withstpd: :butt2: :bash: :twak: :grumpy: :sing: :screwy: :naughty: :saywhat:
and finally myself :nerd:

Happy Holidays everybody !!

glen65
01-15-2004, 11:50 AM
"i am a lurker on this site, but i feel that i must finally post something"

Well fortunately it didn't take too
long.

"i hate junky old tvs. they suck, and they are bad for the enviroment. theres lead in the glass an d it hurts the earth".

Actually they are better. Why! Well
because since they have been around
longer there are less of them to clutter
the land fills each year. Compare
this to many newer sets which are
built so cheap people many times
just go out and buy a new ones the
first sign of any trouble. This
literally multiplies the number of
TVs that end up in the trash each
year. Now that's Earthfriendly isn't it!

" i seen some old tvs the other day in the trash and i got out of my car and smash them."

Good thinking Earthfriend.
Smashing TVs before they get to the
proper place for disposal is hardly
good for the environment. Remember
you're the one that said
"theres lead in the glass an d it hurts the earth".
Now that was real smart!

"go to hell old TVs"

Sorry that old TVs are wrecking you life.

Glen

Sandy G
01-16-2004, 09:47 AM
Uhhh, well, another thing-When our Fearless Hero got out of his car to smash the Evil Old TeeVees, maybe he sliced his bare feet to ribbons...Leaving all that splintered glass all over the place isn't a good idea, either, O Purported Friend Of The Earth...you schmuck...-Sandy G.

Sandy G
01-16-2004, 12:43 PM
I apologise for my last posting where I called that guy a "schmuck". That's sinking to his level, we're above that, & besides, I think he was just a wind-up artiste anyway, trying to get us going. As far as being someone who fervently believes in preserving the past, I have been accused of being weird, anal-retentive, etc, etc. I plead guilty, but believe that guys like me are doing more to preserve the earth than lots of these self proclaimed wahoos are doing. Those who do not believe history is important would do well to remember what the Nazis had over the gate of one of their pleasant little summer camps, can't remember which one:"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." 'Nuff said. -Sandy G.

zakezuke
01-16-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Sandy G
I apologise for my last posting where I called that guy a "schmuck".

Perhaps foofoo head would be a more accurate term. It reminds me of spending time at Evergreen State College in washington. Those not familar it's an eco friendly progressive university that doesn't issue grades to measure peformance. When one day, behind the nearest apt complex, they were going to do some logging, and the students protested. "Do not cut down this old growth forest" they said, trying to protect a series of 10-20 trees. Well, it wasn't what you would call an old growth forest, a good rule of thumb is if you can wrap your arms around the truck with ease, it's not old growth. It was a bunch of trees planted by wherehouser(sp) in the 1950's / 1960's. It was even a small amount of trees small enough so that it gave space for new trees to be planeted and renew the cycle. In otherwords.... they were extracting and planting a renewable resource. And these foofoo heads were protesting it. Now if we were talking about a real forest, with it's own self supporting eco system, the kids would have gotten my empathy and support... but this was a bunch of trees behind an apartment complex that a small quality get harvested every 20 years.

While old TVs are not my bag... I can respect anyone who wants to collect and restore them. I can appricate them on a woodworking level at the very least, and the fact that someone is keeping a piece of history. Old computer monitors were my bag, esp once that can sync down to television levels and up to computer levels. There was a time when such units were in mainstreem production and provided a very low cost high quality alternative to studio monitors. People thought I was nuts, but at least understood when watching Kung Fu the Legond Continues that amusement factor of having such high definition you could see Kain's wires as he walks up walls, or the coffee stains on the uniforms on StarTrek. And I was saving something from hitting the landfills, which most eco friendly folk can appricate.

In fact, the only reason I haven't bothered hunting around for older computer monitors is the local shops won't carry them... even if they are operational. That whole disposal fee thing, which I can appricate as they are kinda toxic.

Reel 2 Reel
01-16-2004, 02:33 PM
Great response Charlie...couldn'tve said it better myself ...without goin off the deep end!!!

Sandy.....you can call him a Schmuck all you want........dont worry about dropping down to his level.....sometimes thats what it takes to talk to somebody... now if we would do the same thing over in the sandbox...we would be done by now....know what im sayin'???

Even though My kids are all grown up ...I still remember one time that my oldest boy was playin' ...somewhere... and cut himself on a chunk of glass from one of those CRTs that somebody broke because they were "saving the environment"....A bunch of stiches and a lot of dollars later ...he was OK....

And as for trolls ....I didnt see a troll in that picture...but that little hottie in that halter top shure looked nice!!!! :tongue: