View Full Version : 1970 Solid State RCA CTC-44A Chassis French Provincial Cabinet

joeseattle70
09-10-2007, 08:52 AM
I have a 1970 RCA CTC-44A French Provincial cabinet tv - 27" screen. It has had light use over the years; however, it has developed a weird problem in that when you first turn it on, often times the sound does not come on for up to 15 minutes, then there is a "raspy" pop sound, then the sound comes on - any ideas as to where to start? Nobody in Seattle wants to work on it - saying they don't have jigs anymore, etc. I have attached a picture of the TV - by chance does anyone have a 1970 Catalog from RCA that could provide the model number and name? The tag, like most other things came off over the years, and is nowhere to be found.

Many Thanks!

Joe

jpdylon
09-10-2007, 11:30 AM
*Moderator* --please move this thread to the Rectangular & solid state Tv forum--

Welcome Joe!

You have preserved that set well, absolutely beautiful cabinet. I'm not positive, but i think the 44 was a modular chassis so your troubleshooting will be easier once you pull the sound module.

If the volume control has shown no sign of being oxidized in the past (scratchy volume control) then I would suspect either a driver/ output transistor or output capacitor on the sound board. If you have access to freeze mist, I would spritz each component, waiting a minute between each one and see if you can reproduce the symptom that occurs when the set is first turned on. When the sound goes away, you've found the defective component.

If that doesn't work, you will need to pull the sound board and troubleshoot it.

Judging the operating condition of the set, I assume you've worked on sets like this before?

blue_lateral
09-10-2007, 11:33 AM
I'm not terribly familiar with this chassis, but you might have more luck if you get a moderator to move this over into the "Rectangular Tube" forum.

Regarding the model number, someone may know, but you already have the chassis number, CTC-44, and that's whats needed to fix it.

Welcome to AK!

John

jstout66
09-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Sorry that no one in your area will work on it. It seems to be the same all over. I don't think there are any techs that know how to work on that stuff anymore and they use any excuse not to have to work on anything. They probably don't know where to get parts, The CTC-44 should be modular, which means you could replace the sound module. There should be a schematic pasted in the set, which lists the module numbers. The old one should pull out and you could order a new one from Moyers Electronics. I wouldn't think the module would be over 20.00 and changing it is about as simple as changing a light bulb. If you don't want to attempt the repair, then perhaps you could post a wanted add on Craigslist asking for a tech that would repair it for you.
Good luck!

jpdylon
09-10-2007, 11:34 PM
Joe,

Forgot to ask you where your from. If your in the so-cal area i would gladly come up and help you troubleshoot your set.

Carmine
09-11-2007, 11:08 AM
I can add no techincal advice, but will say that's a damn fine lookin' TV set! :thmbsp:

kx250rider
09-11-2007, 11:50 AM
The 44, unfortunately, isn't a modular set; it's the revised CTC-40. They're pretty good sets, unless they develop a power supply/regulation problem. I bet you have a problem that could be fixed easily. I'm sure there's someone in Seattle who would be happy to help; maybe even someone on this forum. Keep calling around. I know someone in Camas who might do it. His name is Sonny, and his website is Radiolaguy.com . I'm not sure how far Camas is from Seattle though...

Charles

blue_lateral
09-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Did you by any chance ask at Adams TV in Fremont? Last I heard he could still be persuaded to work on older stuff......

John

Einar72
09-16-2007, 03:38 AM
My old boss, "Rapid" Rudy Toroni is still in Lake City, just north of Deja Vu. He had just ended a lengthy relationship with RCA when I started with him in 1981. He was a neighborhood fixture, always willing to give a kid just out of NSCC a break. He still sold Zeniths after that until just recently, I think. He was a go-get-it-and-bring-it-back-to-the-shop kinda guy. If he turns it down, Fairwood TV in Renton (say hi to Bill) or Ace TV in Auburn are the other old-timers that may offer some hope.

joeseattle70
09-21-2007, 12:34 AM
I was able to find someone that could come out and look at the set (or was interested in doing so) and he had the sound problem diagnosed in 15 minutes - he used canned "freeze spray" and was able to isolate a bad transistor, which he is going to replace tomorrow. All is well that ends well. Thanks again for all of your advice and help! By any chance does anyone know where I can get a CTC-44A schematic? Joe

jpdylon
09-21-2007, 01:18 AM
Glad you were able to find someone to help you Joe. I hope you continue to stick around some. It's good to see people you like you preserving these sets.