View Full Version : Philco Combo

polaraman
12-15-2003, 06:51 PM
Nice square tube Philco Combo on Ebay. It is in Utah. Is it color?

Item Number 2211074453

polaraman

Chad Hauris
12-16-2003, 06:15 AM
Based on the furniture styling it looks like early 60's, when there would be no rect. color sets, also the depth does not seem quite so much as a color set, so I think it looks like b/w.

Jeffhs
12-17-2003, 12:09 PM
I just saw the Philco combo on ebay. Great looking unit. Cabinet looks as if it has been well cared for. The rest of the set seems in good shape as well (the only real problem with it the seller noted was the record changer might need a new stylus, but that goes with the territory if the unit has been used a lot).

Whomever wins that auction will have a very good set, as Philco made some excellent TV and audio components/systems in the '50s and '60s. (I had a 1961 Philco 19" portable TV in the '70s that served me well for several years, and a Philco "Microgrid 390" 21" console before that which also worked very well until the base came off the CRT. :( ) The only thing I'd watch, of course, would be that the winning bidder has enough room in his/her living room for the Philco combo; if I were a betting man (which I'm not), I'd bet it's all of six or seven feet long, as most of those entertainment centers were at least that big (as has been noted in this forum more than once) and will take up an entire wall in an average-sized living room. (The installation I show in my avatar is my own video entertainment unit [the stereo is to the left of my computer], which is about as much as I can fit in my apartment; if I had one of those Philcos, RCAs, etc. it would crowd me out in no time flat! I like those big consoles, but have no room for them anymore.)

BTW, I agree with the person who said he thought the Philco combo set is b&w. Most if not all '60s-vintage color TV sets (and all '50s color sets as well) were roundies, to the best of my knowledge.