View Full Version : Sears LXI 52" Projection TV help circa 1990

Dan Schafer
08-27-2007, 08:05 PM
Hi All
My friend has a Sears LXI 52" projection TV model 626.54552190 that has been in routine service since apx. 1991. Focus & convergence are OK. Over the years however, it now appears foggy. A little like looking at the image through wax paper. I think it needs a good cleaning. Maybe something worse? Can anyone offer the proper cleaning steps or things to look for when inside the cabinet, for such a TV? I don't want to goof anything up and my experence is limited to 1970's & 80's CRT TV sets. Thanks in advance for any replies and suggestions or your 2 cents.
Danny in Cleveland

andy
08-28-2007, 01:40 AM

Duane
08-28-2007, 10:16 AM
Internal cleaning might also be a quick option....If you're up to the task, you might also want to remove the front screen to gain access to the reflecting mirror at the rear of the set and the 3 CRT lenses at the front of the set.The chances of dirt and grime klinging to the surface of the lenses is probable and cleaning them with non abraisive cleaning solution (no Windex) can't hurt. As far as the rear mirror is concerned, if it's glass,then the same holds true.If mylar, then be carefull not to scratch it.

Bill R
08-28-2007, 11:28 AM
Be absolutely sure not to get any coolant on any of the circuit boards.

Bill R

Dan Schafer
08-29-2007, 08:15 AM
What is the coolant fluid? A TV not a car??? Wow, something new to me. Any one have the service manual or a copy/scan/e-mail of the pages I would need for fluid replacement instructions?
Thanks
Danny in Cleveland

Bill R
08-29-2007, 09:14 PM
There is coolant fluid between the front of the projection tubes and the lens assembly. The increased brightness needed to project the picture causes a lot of heat. Without the coolant the projection tube would break. It can get cloudy and will need to be changed if it is.

Bill R

JohnAdams
08-29-2007, 10:00 PM
MCM electronics sells the fluid. Not expensive.

Dan Schafer
09-05-2007, 10:42 AM
Thanks for all the replies! A good cleaning corrected the problem!!...wonder how long the set will keep going?
Thanks again
Danny in Cleveland

Duane
09-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Glad to hear the cleaning helped. I've owned 4 RPs since the mid 80's. All but the Pioneer I have now would allow a lot of dirt and other things inside. Bugs,spiders,etc.

If yours hasn't been cleaned in all these years, there's a possibility you might have cranked up the brightness and contrast to compensate for the dimmer image you had.If so, bring the contrast back down to at least mid point. This will certainly help lengthen the life of the crts.