View Full Version : New Toy (minty RCA 6-T-71)

bre's dad
08-18-2007, 10:45 PM
Found this on CL. Guy picked it up an an estate sale... ORIGINAL OWNER. He's only had it a few weeks, so I consider him more of a 'middleman' as I don't plan on parting with it.

model: RCA 6-T-71
on chassis: KCS 47A-1-T, 2741 01-2 RVC-L9

Based on that and what the 'middleman' said, its a 1947 model w/ a 15" screen. Its in real nice shape, only a few nicks. The top is cracked quite a bit from age. Has nice doors with some kind of inlay pattern. Inside, there is a repair tag from 1956 hanging on the internal antenna, but no details. Also, the back is present but removed to take a looksee and for photos.

Some interesting features include an input on the back for a t-table (mono input). It will be interesting to see how the old iPod sounds on it in mono if I get it working. You pull one knob out and a light behind the channel selector comes on (works too!). Even still has the original RCA Victor decal on the top center of the case & the decals by the front controls. Needless to say, its been well cared for and will be, as long as I can keep the kids away from it. The 2 year old has already said she wants it in her room to watch Scooby Doo. :no:

As far as working condition, its far more promising than my
49 Arvin, which is DOA (unless you pull the rectifier tube, then everything else lights up.) I admit, I did the unforgivable sin (no, not turn it into a fish tank. That's why I have a 120 gal salt tank built into the wall, but that's a different forum)... I plugged it into an outlet strip and turned it on. I don't have a variac and don't know anyone who does... please forgive. Anyway, there is crackling & popping on the audio and there is a squiggly horizontal line on the screen, that changes with the popping & crackling. From what little I've read, I assume that's good in assuming the boob tube is good as well as the flyback. I'm assuming just a general recap is probably required? I really want to get this thing going.

After having said that, is there anyone within a reasonable driving distance of south central Indiana that mgiht be willing to look at this and either get it going or help me? I don't know what I'm doing and other than a crappy volt meter, have no gear to test things...

Eric H
08-18-2007, 10:59 PM
Nice set!

Did you get the manual with it?
If not you can have this one!
:yes:

bre's dad
08-18-2007, 11:01 PM
no manuals. Is that a pdf, hardcopy or original?

Dan Starnes
08-18-2007, 11:10 PM
Wow, that is a clean set,, my 1954 Admiral is of that sanitary shape inside. I watch that set mostly. You have any tv repair shops in your town? Most old time shops will recap these old sets still.

Eric H
08-18-2007, 11:22 PM
no manuals. Is that a pdf, hardcopy or original?

It's an original, picked it up last weekend at an Antique Mall.

P.M. me your address and I'll send it to you.

TJM70
08-21-2007, 06:39 PM
My first vintage TV was very similar or the same chassis. It is a great set when you have it working...I'd first find out if the metal / glass CRT is still good...they can be a little hard to find. If there is an old time TV shop in your area, they might still have a tube tester. I think that's a 16Gp4 if it's the same chassis...If the CRT is good, someone should be able to fix it for you if you can get it to them. I still consider myself a novice and I've got a fairly large number of radios under my belt...a TV is a beast all alone and very difficult to understand when it comes to repairs. Good luck, it looks like a real winner if you get it playing. Nice in all ways.

Bill Cahill
08-22-2007, 04:46 AM
It's a 1950 model. Does someoone have another copy of that mannual they could get rid of? I need one for my 6T74 RCA Victor tv. Thanks. Bill Cahill

Pm me if you can help. Thanks.

Eric H
08-22-2007, 10:31 AM
Bill, I haven't sent the manual out yet, I can make a pdf copy of it if you like.

Bill Cahill
08-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Thank you. Much appreciated.

The popping sounds you heard were likely caused by a combination of bad capacitors, and shorted filters..
No. You will need to put all new electrolytics in it as well. Take special note that there are a number of 1600 volt caps in it, and you will need to use that high a rating, also.These are in critical circuits with high pulse. Some of these are on the sub chassis in hv cage.
I personally get totally rid of the line bypass caps, and resistor, as well, as this causes a shock hazzard. I would reccommend in investing in a good 10A variac. There are mica capsused in the video IF, and, horiz. oscilator, and output stages of this set. They may be bad, also. The deflection youkes were prone to shorting out in the KCS 47 sets. You can still find a good replacement with some searching.
I would highly reccommend against plugging this set in this way again until properly re built. You could do great dammage, and , possibly injure yourself, or, conceivably burn down your house.
When all these precautions are properly done, I guarantee that as long as your picture tube is still good, they have years of life, good brightness, and great contrast.
By the way, besides for the obvious reasons, NEVER use a metal screwdriver to adjust tuner oscilator screws! They put high B+ on them! In this case about 370 volts!

The bell of the picture tube is where the hv is, so NEVER come in contact with it while the set is on, and Be sure to completely, safely discharge the high voltage before any handling.

Sorry. I live in St. Petersburg, Fl., otherwiise, I'd be happy to help. I could re build the chassis, but, you would have to ship it to me.....

Hope this helps some....
Very nice set. I have a couple of this model, but, not in this nice a condition...
Bill Cahill :thmbsp:

Phil Nelson
08-22-2007, 12:44 PM
I hate to be a wet blanket, but if you have never restored a tube radio or TV before, this is not a good beginner's project.

Every TV of that vintage will have a LOT of paper capacitors that need to be replaced, not to mention the electrolytics.

The TV uses high voltage that can knock you across the workshop, if it doesn't kill you outright.

If you don't know any local repairmen, you could try contacting a nearby radio collector club for a recommendation. See the list at http://www.antiqueradio.com/clublist.html .

If you can't find a nearby repairman, and you don't want to ship the chassis away for service, perhaps you could find someone who is willing to give you a mentoring session or two.

Another idea would be to practice by recapping a cheap plastic tube radio from the 1950s. You could make the usual beginner's mistakes on that project, and also learn whether you want to tackle this much bigger enterprise.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

bre's dad
08-22-2007, 12:56 PM
I've got a few people who can do the work. One owes me a few favors, has the equipment & probably even has the schems... finding the time is his trouble. It will sit quietly in the corner til then. I know enough to leave it alone...