View Full Version : Paperwork from Grandma's RCA color TV set

wa2ise
08-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Amung various family photos and such, I ran across paperwork from my grandma's RCA color TV set, model FR 517W (model year 1973), which IIRC was a CTC39. A tube set, think it was RCA's last. She bought it at a place called "Barkers, division of Franklin Stores, Ossining NY." She paid $428 in October 1972. The receipt says "RCA FR514" though the serial number is correct. I have the actual model number tag from the back of the set or its box. Grandma also bought a service contract for $91.50 with monthly payment coupons. And there's a service receipt in Dec 1973 with a cryptic customer complaint that "only #2, others out". Another receipt says that "chan lite out". I suppose that was the pilot light on the channel selector knob. Repair was covered by the service contract.

She liked to watch soap operas, and evening prime time shows, so it did get a lot of use.

We inherited this set in 1984, but it couldn't get any VHF channels but it did get UHF. And it being my father's mothere in law's set, and no room for it, it got parted out. He had the standard "son in law-mother in law: relationship... :D The fault was probably a dead VHF local oscillator.

This TV is in the lower left corner of the attached photo. The person is a friend and neighbor, a member of a card club my grandma was part of.

radiotvnut
08-11-2007, 05:51 PM
From what I can see in the picture, that looks like my Aunt's old RCA. She kept hers until '87 (I think). The CRT shorted in her set (so the TV repairman said). She bought a 19" RCA XL-100 remote set to replace the old one. I remember getting upset because the old set got hauled off by the TV man instead of hauled to my house. That old tube type RCA did have a nice picture!