View Full Version : 19" Zenith Chromacolor II form '76

radiotvnut
07-29-2007, 11:30 PM
Howdy,
I recently bought this '76 model Zenith Chromacolor II 19" set from a friend for $10. The model tag is faded; but, the chassis is a 19HC48 and was made in Chicago. This model has seperate VHF and UHF tuners as well as an AFC button, Chromatic button, and a power button above the VHF tuner. All the other controls are located down the right hand side. Both the dial lights work and the VHF antennas are not broken (miracle). This set plays as-is; but, it does have some issues I need to deal with:
1. Purity and convergence need adjustment.
2. UHF tuner does not always work.
3. The picture is very jittery when using a VCR. I noticed the same problem when the set was connected to a color bar generator. OTA reception is fine.

I used to get a lot of CC II's around here during the '90's and they all had dang good pictures once I got them repaired. I had to replace a lot of triplers in those things (I'm in humid Mississippi). I remember buying an early 13" (or maybe 15", don't remember) CC II at a church rummage sale for $1. Replaced the burning tripler and it played like new with a picture better than most modern sets. I didn't have any trouble unloading that one; however, I think I'll keep my newest find (at least for a while) since these old sets are getting hard to find and are superior to most new sets. Now, if I can run up on a Zenith CC "4 tube hybrid"...

I hope to have some pictures of this set up very soon.

Bryan

zenith2134
07-30-2007, 12:11 AM
We all know they were some of the best vintage sets. So, great score! Wish i would come across one of these soon.

I would clean out both tuners, probably all full of gunk after so many years. The bending pic must be common in chromacolors. Does anyone remember the PSone system had a recall, where they would fix the vertical chip or something for free, since people were complaining that the picture would 'bounce' on their 'older' Zenith set? Interesting stuff, IIRC.

Maybe its in the IF section, too high an input?

Its funny about the humidity, though. Its has been REALLY humid over here lately, and the other day my Portacolor was making arcing noises. I turned up the A/C and the problem was gone.