View Full Version : Pincushioning KV-2024AE

jedo1507r
07-29-2007, 10:07 PM
I picked this nice and crusty Sony out of the local landfill's dumpster this afternoon, while I was dumping an old waterbed. Well, come to look of it, since the tube wasn't imploded by the previous owner, I thought I would help free up landfill space and see what's really wrong with it. :D

Nearly everything works well, except for the pincushioning of the image. Anyway, since it will end up being the garage television, I'm not too picky about the shape of the image. Where should I start?

zenith2134
07-30-2007, 12:06 AM
Cool looking set. Probably '82-'85 time frame, just a guess.

Every older Sony I've been inside of has some sort of Pincushioning adjustment scheme - might be called PCC, or something similar. Now, in your case, it doesn't look too extreme, and for a dumpster-find, maybe you could get away with tweaking that control a bit.

The right fix would be to get the schematic diagram and locate the pincushion circuit, check voltages, and find out why the actives in that section are not doing their job. Could be further down the line, some worn out caps in the supply circuit, or a blown IC. I don't know if these sets used any SCR's like in the 70s sets. Someone else will know.

jedo1507r
07-30-2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks! On the label,it was made in Feb. 1982 and doing some searching, the 2024 had a lot of variants. These Euro-market Trinitron sets look leaps and bounds different than what they were aiming for here (comparing to similar/-era KV-1946R I once had as a kid).

I'm surprised that the set did not dominate in one color (i.e. too annoyingly red) like most Trinitron tube-based monitors and sets I see.

Thanks for the tip, I'll be taking a look at it.