View Full Version : Who repairs Antique Radio's?

Pacopico
11-28-2003, 07:02 PM
I have access to (4) antique radios...

1- Floor standing Majestic, missing field-coil transformer wiring a mess.

2- Floor standing Philco, powers up, no noise from speaker at all.

3- Mantle top Philco, powers up, only screeching noise at certain points on the dial.

4- Mantle top Emerson, HUM!

The First three use antique style tubes, and the little Emerson uses modern tubes.

FWIW All use field coil speakers, are they worthwile for any other projects if the radio's are beyond repair.

I am hoping to find someone local (Southern California) as the console's are too much to ship...but if it is somewhere far I would be willing to ship the small radios...

Thanks!

grumpy
11-28-2003, 07:38 PM
Sorry i cant help with the repair end of your question but i can tell you just powering up these radios is not to wise. They should have been brought up on a variac which may have saved some of these pieces from their repairs. Good luck

Grumpy

jt1stcav
11-28-2003, 11:13 PM
...but he's in CT. Does outstanding restorations if I do say so myself...can't help being biased! Check out his eBay auctions under "muttnjeffcat".

Note: His e-mail address has changed to "gwtidwell@comcast.net".

RocknRoll
11-28-2003, 11:34 PM
I have a few tube table radios #4 is the main filter cap. I doubt its worth shipping or whatever to repair.

millerdog
11-29-2003, 03:02 AM
jt1,
add your page to the links above!:) Thanks!

Pacopico
11-29-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by grumpy
Sorry i cant help with the repair end of your question but i can tell you just powering up these radios is not to wise. They should have been brought up on a variac which may have saved some of these pieces from their repairs. Good luck

Grumpy

Sorry dude, but they were all sold as not-working from miscellaneous antique sales over the years.