View Full Version : Need transportation help: AK Pony Express?

veg-o-matic
11-25-2003, 09:42 AM
Hi, yall:

Okay, I'm having serious trouble getting a lovely little Zenith roundie from IL to MD. Poor Doug's been storing this for I don't know how long.
I originally got Plycon Van Lines to pick up and deliver it, but they turned out to be total jerks, no customer service and unpleasant to deal with. In other words
:uzi: Plycon Van Lines. Beware!
Does anyone have any recommendations for shippers that won't break the bank? I tried Eric's Transportation, but $375.00 is just out of the question, budget-wise. The set it too big to box, so it'll have to go "blanket wrapped". If it were boxable, it would simplify things no end.
If no recommendations, would the AK Pony Express be a possibility? Anyone heading from IL east?
Thanks for your help!
Bob

ChuckA
11-25-2003, 10:07 AM
Bob,

Have you checked North American Van Lines? They have a Specialized Transportation/High Value Products service.

http://www.navl.com/sitemap.htm

I've been using Eric for a number of years and for the most part his rates have been comparable to or better than others I've checked.

Chuck

Kamakiri
11-25-2003, 11:26 AM
:scratch2: Thinking.....hm

I have a TV to get from Doug also, but it's not as big. Mine's going to pass from Doug to Grumpy hopefully (Grump doesn't know yet ;) ), and then maybe on to me.

The first thing we've got to do is to compile a list of volunteers and TV people, this way we can put everyone that's in like pins on a map.

Veg, if you have some time, reference the original AK Pony Express thread, take everyone that was a willing participant, and get a map of the US. Plot where everyone is, then take the locations of the TV people, and plot them in another color. By doing this and asking the TV people not signed up if they want to join in we should get some idea of a roadmap sort of like the Chisholm trail of gear LOL.

Matter of fact, we should put you in charge of setting this up. Hell, this might even give rise to a new forum....hm

veg-o-matic
11-25-2003, 09:04 PM
Kam:
Okey dokey, I've already started this little project. Going to take a little longer than I'd want as I seem to be geographically impaired.
Picture me saying "So that's Indiana..."
Is there a way I don't know of of mining the names of the TV folks? Other than scanning through the posts, I mean.
Bob

Kamakiri
11-26-2003, 06:17 AM
Not really.....I can scan members by location as far as state or city as long as they type it in, but not everyone does.....

What would be the best course of action is to scan the AK Pony Express thread, plot it as I'd mentioned, and then what we'll do is go over the gaps in the system and you and I can see if we can fill in people from the area.

Heck, if you wanted to get REALLY complicated, print out a map, do the above, and get a compass with an approximate 100 mile radius drawn in, in a circle. That will give a really good idea of how the trail is shaping up. The idea here is that even though we travel for somebody else's gear, we're all friends here and will more than likely use the system ourselves.

Hell, I'm from New York, I can't point out any of the midwestern states on a map with any degree of accuracy :lmao:

Eric C
11-26-2003, 06:58 AM
Could I suggest that this "pony express" system also include Canada? While there might be some logistical issues involved with taking things over the border, who knows, maybe some of us in Canada might be able to help, especially with anything travelling near the border or in the Great Lakes area. Just a suggestion I thought I'd pass along.