View Full Version : Black and white TelePrompter monitor

Garrard201
07-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Hi everyone:
I have a Sony SSM-121 that only displays a mirror image of the input, because it was setup for a TelePrompTer. How do I set it back? Is this something simple? I realize this is not EARLY B/W, but it's B/W nonetheless, and you folks seem to know your stuff! I'm hoping this is just a quick flick of a switch inside or something. Thanks!

dtuomi
07-08-2007, 03:41 PM
On what would be the bottom of the prompter monitor (probably the back if you're just sitting it on a desk) there are a series of connectors. Most Sony's came with 2 inputs (A & B) and some came with a Sync in as well. There amongst the inputs on the back will be a set of switches. Some of them will be for 75ohm termination of your inputs. Be sure they're on, unless you're looping out of it. Another switch might be for invert (black on white, or white on black), but this is a rare option. Finally there should be two switches that allow you to change the scanning orientation. One will reverse the horizontal, the other the verticle. Play around with them until you have it correct and you should be good to go. Be aware though that the exact position of the switches and whether they are even there at all will depend on the model of Sony prompter monitor. The real cheapies have like one input and no control at all. Hopefully you will finid yours is one of the higher end ones.

David

P.S. I'm going to post some pictures of the prompter monitor we use at the studio I work for. Its a different model, an SSM-125, but it should give you an idea of how they're mounted.

dtuomi
07-08-2007, 03:45 PM
After posting, I did a quick search on the internet for the monitor. Its not very encouraging. That monitor is designed as a general purpose monitor and isn't a dedicated prompter monitor. You might be out of luck in that someone did the modification themselves without putting any switches on it.

David

Here's a link:
http://www.broadcastbaron.com/infossm121.htm

ChrisW6ATV
07-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Remove the cover and just look at the wires that go to the yoke. The horizontal connections have probably just been reversed, and you simply need to put them back. (I am assuming by "mirror image", you mean "the image is reversed left-to-right but is correct top-to-bottom".) If it was reversed top-to-bottom, you would need to switch the vertical yoke wires.