View Full Version : Latest CT-100 acquisition

Steve K
07-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Two weeks ago I received a CT-100 from a gentleman in Oregon. Thanks for the lead Pete! I recapped the set, replaced all the peaking coils and the focus pot. At this point I have a fairly good picture (although the attached photos do not depict that). I have some alignment to do yet but it has a strong 15GP22 so hopefully it will work well when I'm done. So far it is showing the usual quirks of a CT-100!

Steve

doug621ts
07-05-2007, 02:01 PM
Very nice Steve! Picture looks good, cant wait to see it working up close! Is this a nicer set than your other? Does it work comparably to your other? See you soon!

old_tv_nut
07-05-2007, 03:03 PM
I think you are lucky to have it, and it is lucky to have you!

Are the blown-out whites on the screen, or an artifact of camera overexposure?

stromberg6
07-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Please Tell Us The Number Stamped Into The Cabinet, And Top.
Thanks,
Kevin

Steve K
07-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Doug:

This set is better than my other one. The finish is better and the CRT is stronger thus producing a brighter picture. The HV regulation is a bit better on this one as well.

Wayne:

My camera is making the whites look that way. In person it looks much better. Eckhard (forum member in Germany) told me of a better camera which I will look into getting.

Kevin:

The cabinet, top, and control cover are all stamped 238.

Steve

Sandy G
07-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Ooooooh, I hate you ! <grin> But at least it's "in the family", as it were... Again, a lot of people simply don't have any business having one of these noble machines...They simply AREN'T worthy of having one... But The Few in our little society here, & some others, perhaps..Jeez, I'm a Snob, ain't I ? Hehehehe...

Eric H
07-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Gee Steve, you make it seem so casual and all, just your latest CT-100 acquisition, ho hum :D

It looks great! is it registered on Petes Site?

John Folsom
07-05-2007, 10:41 PM
Steve,
It really looks great! J

ust curious, what camera is Eckhard recommending?

Have you attempted the fulll-up color oscillator and demodulator setup since you installed the peaking coils?

Steve D.
07-06-2007, 01:18 AM
Steve,

Thanks for posting the pix.
Very nice restoration.

-Steve D.

yagosaga
07-06-2007, 05:22 AM
Steve, It really looks great! Just curious, what camera is Eckhard recommending?

Canon Powershot A70. Search on the bay for it, and you will find many NIB cameras for a few $. This camera is not today's standard with only 3 Megapixel. But it is a camera with which you can make good screenshots and photos from chassis even with flashlight. See:

http://bs.cyty.com/menschen/e-etzold/archiv/TV/bush/img/bushTV22_2.JPG
http://bs.cyty.com/menschen/e-etzold/archiv/TV/bush/img/TV22_Zeilenend.JPG
http://bs.cyty.com/menschen/e-etzold/archiv/TV/saba/img/T2000color_inBetrieb2.JPG
http://bs.cyty.com/menschen/e-etzold/archiv/TV/saba/img/T2000color_Hochspan2.JPG
http://bs.cyty.com/menschen/e-etzold/archiv/TV/rca/img/ctc5e_inBetrieb4.JPG

I cant wait to see more photos from your new marvel, Steve!

Eckhard

holmesuser01
07-06-2007, 03:34 PM
Mighty Fine Score There!

I have seen only one CT-100 in all the years that I worked on TV's, which means since I was nine years old. It was around 1966. I remember seeing BATMAN in color for the first time. I was allowed to have a look at the entire set, not to mention adjust up the colors. The set was owned by a wealthy older lady that knew my parents. I only went to her home one time. Her set looked similar to your new toy, Steve, but was in a much darker cabinet. Maybe a dark mahogany, or an Ebony style. It was an old set, then, but I remember its massive cabinet that had not been removed from the house since they bought it new. There was not a mark on the cabinet. My mom, who would notice flaws in wood furniture like a hawk notices a mouse, remembers the thing as looking brand new, and was surprised at its age.

Im also glad that you have aquired another set to restore and display. Sounds like this one has not just sat there not being used like many others have been. We have to keep these old sets a-runnin!

Bruce

John Folsom
07-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Thanks Yagosaga for the camera tip. I recently decided to replace my antique Nikon Coolpix 990 camrea, which has always been a bit of a lemon, and never taken good sereen shots. After considerable research, I decided on a Canon S3IS, which I like very much. I may keep an eye out for a Canon A70 as a backup camera.

ohohyodafarted
07-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Nice jobe Steve!! Looks fantastic. I am a bright shade of green right now.

Look me up next time your are in West Bend.

Pete Deksnis
07-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Steve, it looks when I squint as though there's a Photoshop pencil box on that set. If you need one, I have a donor. Its spring return is a little fatigued, but otherwise okay.

Pete

Steve K
07-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Pete:

You are correct about the pencil box. Actually it is a photo copy that I cut out and taped over the hole. Steve D. gave me that idea. Harvey could not find the original so I am in need of one.

Thanks,
Steve

kx250rider
07-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Pete:

You are correct about the pencil box. Actually it is a photo copy that I cut out and taped over the hole. Steve D. gave me that idea. Harvey could not find the original so I am in need of one.

Thanks,
Steve

The pencil boxes on the same-year B&W sets are the exact same size :yes: . You can drill a couple of extra holes, and nobody will ever know unelss you open it.

Charles

Whirled One
07-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Thanks Yagosaga for the camera tip. I recently decided to replace my antique Nikon Coolpix 990 camrea, which has always been a bit of a lemon, and never taken good sereen shots. After considerable research, I decided on a Canon S3IS, which I like very much. I may keep an eye out for a Canon A70 as a backup camera.

This is off-topic, but the Canon A-series digital cameras seem to be pretty decent for low-end digital cameras. I don't actually have one of those, but I've steered a few people towards them in the past and they've been happy with 'em. The A70 is fairly old now (given the rapid development of digital camera technology), but still should be fine for most folks. One nice thing about that line of Canon cameras, by the way, is that they're among a now-disappearing breed that still uses ordinary AA-size cells, so you'll never have to worry about not being able to find a special replacement Li-Ion battery for it in the future, and of course it's easy to carry extra AA's (preferably Ni-MH rechargables) when you're out in the field.

Phil Nelson
07-09-2007, 10:55 AM
You are a lucky guy! I'm glad the set has gone into good hands.

Phil Nelson

Pete Deksnis
07-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Steve,

USPS'd the pencil box to you this morning.

Pete

sweitzel
07-12-2007, 01:17 AM
unrelated to this particular thread, but I was watching a documentary on Les Paul this evening on PBS and there was a B roll shot of a CT-100 displaying a vintage clip of Les and Mary Ford on the Ed Sullivan show. Anyone know who's TV was used for that clip?

Steve K
07-12-2007, 06:29 PM
Pete:

Pencil box just received. Thank you! My set is now complete.

Steve

ohohyodafarted
07-16-2007, 05:02 PM
I saw the CT100 shot on the Less Paul program too. I would almost bet It belongs to Les Paul. You obvoiusly saw all the antique electronic gear he has. It appears he has not thrown anything away EVER. (my kinda guy) He would have been a prime candidate to own a very early color set.

I couldn't tell for sure, but I might suspect that they used a shot of the CT100, and then overlayed the video on the ct100 screen. What a thrill it would be to meet Less Paul in person. He is one of those rare visionaries who change technology in a very meaningful way.

Did you notice that old Lincoln sitting in his driveway with a flat tire? They say he is richer than God, but it looks like he lives the way many of us excentric collectors do. Sort of in and amongst a junk pile.

electronjohn
07-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Obliquely related to this thread: I was digging through a box of old books, and came up with a 1969 Allied catalog. Paging through, I found that you could purchase an RCA "Colorama" 15GP22 for $128.00!!! Now..where did I put the keys to the deLorean????

sweitzel
07-26-2007, 07:24 PM
Hey folks,

Just curious if there are any updates to the 15GP22 rebuild efforts. The last update seems to have been a year ago. Pete?

John Folsom
07-26-2007, 07:27 PM
There is some hope Scotty will do some more work twards our first attempt at a DUD crt maybe in August....

ohohyodafarted
07-26-2007, 10:13 PM
John...
Is anyone going to make a pilgrimage to Des Moines to watch the actual process? I would love to see Scotty work his craft in person. I am sure it would be verry educational.

John Folsom
07-26-2007, 10:15 PM
Don't know if there will be a witness or not. Probably won't be me, Florida is a long way from there.