View Full Version : Zenith pic problem

heathkit tv
11-20-2003, 04:04 AM
Someone has offered me a 1966 Zenith color set (sounds like a portable, don't know the size or model number yet). He describes it's problem thusly:

"I plugged it in the other day and the volume came on, but the screen was mostly dark with mutli-colors in the center."

I know that it's a long shot diagnosing something over the internet, but does this sound like a common problem, or one common with Zeniths of this vintage? :headscrat

Thanks!

Anthony

Chad Hauris
11-20-2003, 06:46 AM
It could be that the degaussing thermistor is open, causing the degaussing coils to be on constantly, causing a varying multi-color effect.

Also if there is no vertical deflection, there would be a red, green, and blue line across the center of the screen.

If the screen lights up at least you know the CRT is good :)

Carmine
11-20-2003, 02:39 PM
Two ideas...

The yoke could be slid too far back on the neck of the picture tube, unlikely but possible.

The yoke could either be fried or not receiving power. I'm no expert TV guy like the others on here, but I would offer this thought...

My 1966 Zenith produces a cool-looking color swirl in the center of the screen each time it's shut off. It lasts about 3-4 seconds. This (I think) is the result of the tubes "warming down", but all deflection is lost instantly. Thus it would seem reasonable that if had HV (you must or there would never be anything on the screen) and low-voltage (sound) you would probably just get an unfocused color blob on the screen without vert/horz deflection.

P.S. In answer to your earlier question; Yes. I'm 2nd/3rd gen Sicilan. My name was actually supposed to be Anthony, but my mother said she didn't want to be reminded of a spaghetti commercial everytime she called me to dinner. (I'm 31, you do the math) ;)

heathkit tv
11-20-2003, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the tips Carmine. Funny guy you and your Mom...I was somewhat tortured by those damn TV commercials!

Actually I'm Anthony Jr, and my Dad was supposed to be originally named Aloysius (say Al-u-wishes) but the Priest being fresh off the boat didn't know how to spell it and wrote down Anthony instead on the baptismal certificate.

I light a candle for him every night. LOL

Anthony

Originally posted by Carmine
Two ideas...

The yoke could be slid too far back on the neck of the picture tube, unlikely but possible.

The yoke could either be fried or not receiving power. I'm no expert TV guy like the others on here, but I would offer this thought...

My 1966 Zenith produces a cool-looking color swirl in the center of the screen each time it's shut off. It lasts about 3-4 seconds. This (I think) is the result of the tubes "warming down", but all deflection is lost instantly. Thus it would seem reasonable that if had HV (you must or there would never be anything on the screen) and low-voltage (sound) you would probably just get an unfocused color blob on the screen without vert/horz deflection.

P.S. In answer to your earlier question; Yes. I'm 2nd/3rd gen Sicilan. My name was actually supposed to be Anthony, but my mother said she didn't want to be reminded of a spaghetti commercial everytime she called me to dinner. (I'm 31, you do the math) ;)

Charles Vesser
11-20-2003, 03:54 PM
On those early Zeniths the yokes are are known to slide back on the tube neck, also the spacers up aganist the back of the tube (rubber feet) are know to get loose and falloff. Thus if the set is moved or viberated during cleaning the yoke can tilt or move. Some Zeniths also have a tendency to rub a bare spot in the anode lead and cause arcing to the metal frame.
Of course the yoke could just be bad. My guess is its in or around the yoke. Not the tube.