View Full Version : "modern" mechanical tv

rca2000
11-19-2003, 05:10 PM
There is a form of "mechanical " tv(color), that is being sold as one of the hottest new froms of tv's on the market, in the HT and HDTV areas, especially.

This set, uses movable mirrriors to produce the picture, an arc light for the light source and a color wheel, to produce the correct color.

Sounds like some 1940's experiemental set?

No, I am talking about 2004 models.

Anyone care to guess what I am referring to?

(hint):: TI owns most of the patents on this design.

House de Kris
11-19-2003, 06:04 PM
DLP. Haven't seen one yet that doesn't have horrible rainbows. I'll also point out I haven't seen them all yet either.

Celt
11-19-2003, 07:02 PM
Movable mirrors, eh? I guess they finally found a use for all of those Celine Dion CD's! :D

andy
11-19-2003, 09:21 PM

rca2000
11-19-2003, 09:23 PM
My biggest problem i have seen so far, with Dlp is bad pixels. I have seen several Hitachi, and samsung Dlp rear. projector sets, with a few pixels bad, not in the center, AND THE MANUFACTURER WILL NOT COVER THEM! The stores I work at (circuit City) then have to sell a flawed set.

I Have seen Plasmas, also, and I AM NOT impressed, with the "value for the money", especially considering that plasmas seem to burn rather easily, and cannot produce a true "black field", ( due to the fact that the pixels never fully turn off between scans), so, I STILL think that the old, realiable CRT is STILL the best way to go!

kc8adu
11-20-2003, 01:23 AM
see my post below.
color wheel tv not dead yet!
i need to take pics and post them before it goes back to the customer.
this is a tiny portable set.