View Full Version : RCA X20132GSA03 user push buttons

Dan Schafer
06-22-2007, 07:47 AM
Hi All
Working on my friend's TV. RCA model X20132GSA03, CTC 146 series. The only problem with this 17 or 18 year old TV is the front user plastic buttons are falling out like bad teeth. Thay are on a flimsy spring-back hinge. Looks like the display/logo panel the buttons are attached to is part of the front cabinet and not replaceable??? Even if RCA had a replacement, certainly it's no longer available??? I'm not sure if this model came with a remote control or not, which would solve this problem. The buttons can be operated manualy by inserting a small pencil. Only the most often used buttons are falling out like power, volume up & down. Just wondering if anyone ran into this problem and can offer a suggestion.
Danny in Cleveland

kx250rider
06-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Bad news: you have to order the whole cabinet front ass'y. I had to do that many times due to bad buttons. You can try Andrewselectronics.com, and see if they still have any.

Charles

Dan Schafer
06-24-2007, 06:48 AM
Hi I would like to verify that this model TV did not ever have a remote control circuit. A replacement universal would solve this TV's problem. I don't have the Sam's (2749) for it and I don't see a remote I/R receiver on the chassis. Any help or confirmation would be appreciated.
Danny in Cleveland

kx250rider
06-24-2007, 11:50 AM
It should be a remote; I think all CTC-146s were. The IR receiver is on the front edge of the board, and and has a window that you don't see in the smoked plastic bezel where the buttons are. BUT, if it's a motel/hospital version, it might be nonremote. Get a $7 RCA universal at Target or Walmart, and give it a try...

Charles

Dan Schafer
06-26-2007, 12:10 PM
HI All
And thanks for the kind replys. The TV must have been an institution bulk lot basic monitor receiver. Used manually, the buttons don't hold up. I pulled out the mother board and there are no remote circuit receiver components. The board is however, layed out for them with lead holes. If all those hand full of components were installed would a remote then work? What would David Sarnoff think of such a poor quality button design on an RCA product?
If anyone has a scrap CTC 146 motherboard, I think it would be fun to try installing those omitted remote receiving components. Maybe hack saw out that area of the board and I'll swap out the parts. I'll pay a fee of course.
Thanks
Danny in Cleveland
Also any suggestions on locating a cheap replacement flyback for a Magnavox 19" circa 1989? MCM in One does not have it listed.

rcaman
06-26-2007, 02:56 PM
youre going to have to have a micro. that has the ir input on it. those rca sets that the model number started with an x were discount store sets. good sets but just plain jane. steve

andy
06-26-2007, 06:38 PM
I've done things like that, but it usually ends up being more work that it's worth. It is satisfying to enable features and the challenge can be fun. A scrap board to compare to your board would be a good way to go. Be prepared to spend a lot of time going over the entire board looking for differences.

If you still have the buttons, you may be able to fix it with silicone RTV. Glue them back together the best you can with super glue, then use RTV to provide flexible support for the buttons. When done right, it will be stronger than new.