View Full Version : Muntz Combo!

polaraman
11-15-2003, 05:35 PM
I got this set at Goodwill for 99 cents plus tax. It is model number 5583W1 and has a 25XP22 CRT. The radio and phono portion are solid state and work wonderfully. The TV produces a jumbled picture that I was unable to adjust. The audio portion works great on the TV. It will have to wait in line for repairs for now. Thought it was quite a deal!;) This is the second set I got a Goodwill for 99 cents. :D The other is a Magnavox B/W combo and it is pictured in Horizontal Hold members gallery.

Polaraman

Rob
11-15-2003, 06:28 PM
Kool!

kc8adu
11-15-2003, 09:35 PM
whos chassis is inside?
i dont recall madman designing his own color.

polaraman
11-15-2003, 09:50 PM
I will post a picture of the chassis. What do the experts say?

Rob
11-15-2003, 10:03 PM
The chassis and convergence board look like RCA CTC-16. The HV 'doghouse' is not RCA, looks like 'acme mail box and sheet metal co.' The yoke looks like hollywood sci-fi from a Michael Renny movie I recall. Yup, this is Muntz from what I've read of the guy.

Eric H
11-16-2003, 12:17 AM
That is just the coolest cabinet I've seen on a combo unit!

It screams out to be placed on a Shag Carpet with a Lava Lamp on top :D

Charlie
11-16-2003, 11:04 AM
Now that is a snazzy lookin' cabinet! If it were blonde, I bet Veg-O-Matic would have it in his house!

My other favorite color combo unit from AK is this RCA below.

These sets would definately dress up any living room... not to mention take up an entire wall! :D

polaraman
11-16-2003, 12:00 PM
The Muntz combo is 7 feet long! It would take up an entire wall. I currently have it in storage with some of my other non working sets. It will look nice in my house when I move back in to it. Got the set and I toted it home in the back of my 1986 Dodge lancer. It hung out the back about a foot. Seems that I always run into TV sets when I do not have the truck. Another transportation story is hauling my 1951 Philco combo tied to the top of the Lancer. Got some interesting looks going down the highway.

:D

polaraman

Charlie
11-16-2003, 12:32 PM
Wow! Next time you bring a combo console home in the Lancer, make sure to get a photo of it! That would definately deserve being shared here! Wasn't a Lancer the next step up above a Dodge Charger or plymouth Turismo? :eek:

polaraman
11-16-2003, 01:01 PM
The Lancer is the next size up from those cars. It was a tight fit but I made it!:D

Rob
11-16-2003, 01:36 PM
Charlie, As a vintage color TV collector I thought it would be kinda classy to be buried in one of those nice long consoles like the RCA you showed instead of the usual (no imagination there folks) coffin. Plus look at all the money you'd save your estate. The beautiful RCA console could still be bought for less than a funeral home would charge for a pine box (rip off artists that they all are).
I wonder if you can get a grave site wired with cable? :D

You could put your picture in the screen area at the casket viewing and see how many of your friends try to change the channel! :lmao:

Charlie
11-16-2003, 05:48 PM
Rob,

I think this would be worth looking into! Think of the money saved! Then we could all prove them wrong when they say "You can't take it with you!"

I don't see how they could refuse such a request. You would be saving a tree, so it would be good for the environment. One thing is for sure... I bet you make the ten o'clock news the day they put you in the ground!

heathkit tv
11-16-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
Rob,

I think this would be worth looking into! Think of the money saved! Then we could all prove them wrong when they say "You can't take it with you!"

I don't see how they could refuse such a request. You would be saving a tree, so it would be good for the environment. One thing is for sure... I bet you make the ten o'clock news the day they put you in the ground!

Hey now! That way you'd be ON television IN a television!!

Anthony :yippy: :angel:

veg-o-matic
11-16-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
Now that is a snazzy lookin' cabinet! If it were blonde, I bet Veg-O-Matic would have it in his house!

:D

Darn tootin' !

kc8adu
11-16-2003, 09:12 PM
you could watch the worms at work!

heathkit tv
11-16-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by kc8adu
you could watch the worms at work!

This thread has progressively gotten sicker and sicker....I like it! Here's my contribution:

If Philo T were alive right now do you know what he'd be doing?

:dunno:

Wait for it

Screaming to get out of his coffin! :jawdrop:

Anthony

Jeffhs
11-20-2003, 11:41 AM
polaraman,

If by "jumbled" you mean your set's picture is slanting lines up or down the screen, I'd check the horizontal circuits (tubes first). Either the oscillator or AFC tube is bad or something is haywire in the control circuitry itself (resistors off value, etc). If the lines are slanting downward, your horizontal oscillator is running too fast; if upward, too slow. A good way to remember this is by the following: One can always run faster downhill than uphill. (I read this in an old TV repair book some years ago.) Also, the number of slanting lines on the screen will give you a rough idea of how far off frequency your horizontal oscillator is. If you have only a few lines, you are very close to 15,750, and all that's likely needed is a slight adjustment of the horizontal hold control. However, if you have more slanting lines on your screen than you can count, the oscillator is way off frequency. This can happen if someone has been fiddling with the horizontal oscillator coil slug and has screwed it too far out of the coil, or removed it from the coil altogether. Reinserting the slug in the coil and readjusting it should bring your picture back; if not, check the tube and the circuits I mentioned, in that order.

Note that if your horizontal oscillator is off frequency by any great amount, it can affect the high voltage.

Note also that if your horizontal sync is out of whack, but not enough to destroy your monochrome picture, the color will go out of sync at this time as well.

Do not operate the TV for any length of time with the horizontal oscillator or output tubes out of their sockets, or if the horizontal oscillator or output tubes are not lit or not conducting for any reason. Tube-powered transformer-operated TVs, monochrome and color, are designed so that the horizontal circuits operate on grid leak bias. The drive signal from the horizontal oscillator keeps the plate current of the output tube from going sky-high. If the drive signal is not present, there is in turn no bias on the grid of the output tube, which causes the tube to draw more plate current than it should. This will, of course, cause the circuit to overload the power supply; if the PS is not fused, this can and often does lead to eventual destruction of the low-voltage rectifier tube and/or power transformer (more likely the latter).

BTW, I like that cabinet. Very stylish. Madman Muntz must have had a good eye for cabinet styling, or else he got his cabinets from a cabinet maker who did.

Ninety-nine cents at the Goodwill for that entire set? That's a great score. :thmbsp: Get the TV working and you'll have a set to be proud of. I like old TV sets and nice furniture myself. If my apartment weren't so small, I'd try to find a set like yours (or one of those nice big RCA three-ways as I saw a pic of on another post here). Those old 3-way sets were good (I had a great-uncle who had an RCA like that; he liked it and had it for years--in fact, when the TV eventually gave up, he just put another set in the opening left by the old chassis and made a frame around it; I had another great-uncle who did the same thing with his RCA three-way when the TV quit), but as the other poster said, they are very long and can take up an entire wall in one's living room. They are nice to have if you have the space, though. :)

polaraman
06-27-2004, 02:10 AM
The Muntz combo is up and running!!! Final straw was replacing the that damn diode thing! I could not get it to lock. I still have to set the color and center the picture. Pretty awesome set for a dollar at Goodwill!!! I am very happy to have it running!!

polaraman

Sandy G
06-27-2004, 09:34 PM
Not too bad of a picture, either really, especially considering this guy's "humble" roots......Excellent score !!! -Sandy G.

bgadow
06-27-2004, 10:33 PM
Man, there can't be many color Muntz's still going!

They just opened up a Goodwill about 20 minutes from here (previously the closest was nearly an hour) but thats still 20 minutes in the wrong direction. I wonder if I sent them a letter, with some sample photos, of the type of things I would be interested in? Suppose they would hold on to it and call me from time to time? I did ride by there and they had an 80s console sitting out back on the trash pile.

polaraman
06-27-2004, 11:28 PM
The awesome Goodwill to have is a 99 cent store. This is the place that they sell things that could not normally sell at a Goodwill store. Non working electronics is what I go for. I have found 5 vintage Tv sets at them. It is real fun to go look through the bins that they place things in. It is a real treasure hunt. The store is a last chance before they toss things out. I get sick every time I drive by the Salvation Army store and see the dumpster full of stuff. I have got a few working tube portables at thrift stores. It helps to keep going back often, because you never know. I got a Magnavox color roundie at one last year. Paid $40 for the non working set. Have yet to get to it.

I have the color working better on the Muntz. I have to adjust it some more. It is getting to be a very good picture. Watched the car races on it this afternoon. Great color!!

polaraman

polaraman
06-29-2004, 12:14 AM
Refined the picture on the Muntz. Looks way better now. I will say again, got a great set for a dollar.

polaraman

Charlie
06-29-2004, 01:52 AM
Man, that is a great picture! Dollar or not, that picture is worth alot! Great job!

Now, the question is... where are ya gonna put this beast?

captainmoody
06-29-2004, 09:02 AM
I had to build several free standing shelves heavy enough to support two entertainment centers (one on top of the other) and at least 72" long. I got sick of putting blankets on top of one then setting the other set on top. That way didn't well and I was never able to get to get to the radio/phono/controls on the bottom one.
What I have now works great and reduces clutter in the shop as well as makes the sets visible to the curious few friends of mine that like to see this stuff working.
I would go that way if space is limited.

Tim Tress
07-08-2004, 09:34 PM
In the early days of the color TV "boom" (1961-66), the only companies which were making color sets were RCA and Zenith. Everyone but Zenith used an RCA type chassis; usually a version of the CTC11, CTC12, CTC15, or CTC16. RCA made most of the early sets; apparently their design was then licensed out to other companies. Eventually most manufacturers developed their own designs, but some brands (Silvertone, Muntz, Curtis Mathes, to name a few) used the RCA design for several years. I serviced lots of them in the old days.

Chad Hauris
07-09-2004, 08:04 AM
It seems like some of the other manufacturers that licensed the RCA CTC-11-16 design "souped it up" with additional features such as a color temperature control, color indicator lamp, 6BQ5 audio output, replacing the 6JU8 with silicon diodes, etc.

bgadow
07-09-2004, 09:54 AM
I just picked up a box of service literature, mostly Admiral from the late 50s/early 60s. One of the color tv factory manuals has a chassis pic and you can clearly see the RCA logo on the power xsfmr, the tubes, etc. Other than that, though, they seemed to try to hide it. Notice that they even recommended you use an Admiral brand color dot/bar generator. Anyway, the chassis looked like an 11 or 12.