View Full Version : Finally scored a Predicta

Dan Starnes
05-26-2007, 05:59 PM
Predicta 4242, got it off ebay and you may recognize it. I need to find an antenna and feet for it. Owner used to watch 50's monster movies on it twenty years ago off vcr. I am wanting to do the light bulb variac type thing on powering it up. Was going to start with 25 watt bulb, then 40 and see what happens. Good idea or not? Set is in very nice cosmetic shape, looks like antenna on side was never there, probably used rooftop attached to back. Dont know what happened to feet.
Dan

70salesguy
05-26-2007, 10:38 PM
I'm not a vintage TV guy, but I have always loved the looks of the Predicta.

I had a buddy in college that had one that worked. Even then, it was way too cool. :smoke:

If I start collecting vintage TV's - this would be one I would want! :yes:

Dan Starnes
05-26-2007, 11:05 PM
I remember the first one I saw,, friend of mine when I was kid,, the set was now his in his bedroom. Must of been bout 1967 or so, I woulda been bout 10 myself. I thought it was the coolest tv I had ever seen. Have wanted one since then. His parents had moved up to a color set, so he got this one. My parents didnt move up to a color set till 1972.
Dan

Phil Nelson
05-27-2007, 12:40 AM
Sweet. Begin by replacing the electrolytic capacitors (yes, all of them).

Not the easiest set to work on if you're starting out.

http://antiqueradio.org/philc12.htm

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Dan Starnes
05-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Phil,, I am going to take your advice and not work on this myself. I did put together a light bulb type variac and do an initial powerup with a 25 watt bulb. Watched real close and did not smell anything or see any smoke. Could not see any tubes glowing though. Stepped up to a 40 watt bulb. After a little bit I saw tubes glowing, I continued to watch it closely. Turned the channel selector to local station and I had sound. Thought I would go for a picture and turned brightness up for the screen. No antenna but there is a picture which I have attached. Feeling good about it and detecting no real heat, nor smoke, or bad smells, I think this set is ready to go to a local shop. They will fix old sets, but they dont like completely dead ones. So I will let them recap it. My wife can now have the kitchen back,, I was doing all this while watching the Indy 500 and wanted to be in the house to watch it on the widescreen.
Dan

csingle
05-30-2007, 07:39 AM
If I were you, I would contact ElPredicta. I have visited his house, and it looks like a predicta factory. I would imagine he could give you insight you only dreamed of.

-Chris

El Predicta
05-30-2007, 09:00 AM
Predicta antennas (antennae?) are scarce. The 4242 originally came with 2 "legs" so that the pair formed a stand for the set. Not meaning to commercialize, but you can see those on a set I'm running on ebay right now. I have plenty of those legs if you need them, or you can just buy a set of 4feet at any hardware store. If your local shop can repair, go with them, or I'd be glad to help out.

Larry

Dan Starnes
06-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Larry,, PM on how to buy the legs for this set. I did go talk to tv repairman today. He is nearly 80 and was walking a puppy Jack Russel Terrier that he just got when I drove up. He is the only tv repairman I have ever known, been in business since 1957, year of my birth. I asked him if he would recap the tv for me. He said bring it in and he would look at it. Harold Hillerts is the owner of Video Service here in Quincy IL and is for certain a rare gem in this day and age. You have to admire an 80 year old with a puppy. Never ever give up I say!!!!
Dan

John Marinello
06-02-2007, 08:58 AM
Dan,

I don't know if you like old mowers or not, but there's an eBayer located in Quincy that has quite a vintage collection:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cooper-Klipper-Power-Reel-Lawn-Mower_W0QQitemZ140122634712QQihZ004QQcategoryZ7127 2QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Check his completed listings also.

I wish I were a little closer, I'd sure like to have a look see...

Dan Starnes
06-02-2007, 11:16 AM
I think I even know who that is. He is quite a wrench, if it is who I am thinking of.
Dan