View Full Version : Philips VCR (N1500, N1700)

larschr
05-15-2007, 01:27 PM
I got 3 of these players yesterday. One of them is a N1500, probably the first real home video recorder. It runs, but i canīt get a picture. All tape transport functions works, except the tape lacing which i have to to by hand. The transport functions are mechanically operated. It is driven by two mains-powered brushless AC motors, the same kind as used in record players. One for the head drum and one for the rest. In other words, the speed are constant. To control the speed, two metal discs are place on the head drum and capstan drive shaft and a coil is used as a speed brake. This machine should be in repairable condition. The picture problem may be a faulty modulator, but it also has a DIN video in/out which i will try when i can get the right adapter for it. When it comes to the tape lacing system, i know i saw a repair-guide for it somewhere on the internet, but where? The power system is some odd split-supply design. There are two live and two neutral wires connected to the mains socket, and there are even two voltage selectors! It appears that there are mains voltage "everywhere" inside the unit. The motors and the mechanical clock are mains powered, and there are two transformers in there. When you press "Stop" tho motors continue running. After about a minute an electro magnet hits the "Off"-switch and the player shuts off. The two other buttons on the top are a "Color killer", and one that i donīt really know what is for, but it probably has something to do with the audio level meter on the front panel. The group of 6 buttons on the right side of the player is the CH selector. The two controls on the left side of the front panel is tracking and audio volume.

larschr
05-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Here are the two other players. The first one is an N1502, which is basically an upgraded version of the N1500. The main difference is that the AC motors has been replaced by DC motors, the lacing mechanism is improved, th electronics are more modern and is even using a few ICs. The electronics of the 1500 is all discrete. The 1502 also has a still function; i you press the "Stop Motion" button when in stop mode, the picture comes up on the screen, crystal clear, just like DVD. The 1502 works perfectly.

When it comes to the N1700, the only real difference from the 1502 is that the 1700 runs at half the speed and thereby doubles the playing time. The exterior differences are minimal, and the functions are the same. The only thing needed to get it working is a couple of drive belts.

Kiwick
05-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Hi,

I also have VCRs a N1500 and a N1702, the N1702 works fine while the N1500 has a problem with the tape speed servo... but it's mechanically working.

The usual failure in the lacing mechanism in the N1500 is a cracked shaft collar on the plastic lacing pulley, you can fix it by wrapping thin steel wire tightly around the broken collar (like i've done successfully)

Francesco