View Full Version : Question about vintage TV.

Wired
11-03-2003, 07:04 AM
I know nothing about vintage TV. I am into vintage audio. My question is what is the deal with vintage TV? Is it like vintage audio where you can get a vintage unit that outperforms a new unit? And costs less money? Or do poeple just like the look/style/feel of the vintage T.V units?

Thanks

Chad Hauris
11-03-2003, 08:13 AM
I don't know if I can claim that old TV's outperform the best modern sets...there are certainly some that can do a very good job. I do like the styling of the old sets and the ones I have are a whole lot cheaper than new ones. Also I find the tube type sets are easier and more fun to work on than some of the modern ones, although they do tend to need more maintenance.

Rob
11-03-2003, 09:26 AM
For me it is the technical interest, nostalgic and koolness factor of having some of the first pieces of television technology from 50 and more years ago when TV was first introduced after the war. As an engineer I am amazed that these wonders could be made to work with just a few tubes, especially the color sets! Modern TV's have the equivalent of literally hundreds of tubes in those IC's not including the computerized tuners that would be practically impossible to duplicate at all in vacuum state of the era. They also come in real hardwood furniture and often had a lovely style that is never tiring in a home. The fact that they can be made to work and receive the transmitted TV format still in use today is a big plus, but I seldom actually watch any of my sets that I have restored except occasionally one of the 21" round screen color sets. That's the way to watch an original episode of Star Trek!

I like my big modern 61" Toshiba RPTV for watching TV thank you. :)

bgadow
11-03-2003, 10:23 AM
Part of it, for me, is bringing a set back from the dead, be it a radio or a tv. I really don't watch much tv nowadays. I guess bringing a late model tv back to life could be entertaining but its a whole new ballgame & I don't know how to play! As for performance, I feel there is a certain warmth to tube sets that is missing from solid state. (well, yeah, they DO get warmer!) Watching a color picture on a newer set doesn't do anything for me but on a good running roundie something just glues my eye to the screen. There is one other thing, the ability to tinker. So many adjustments, so many corrections that can be made. And at my core I'm a tinkerer. Not many dials on those new sets!