View Full Version : 16GP4 Search

Ampico-kid
05-03-2007, 11:44 PM
I'm almost ready to start restoring my '51 Zenith Porthole. This set uses a 16GP4 crt and presently has a booster attached. I checked the tube with my CRT testing unit and the meter remains motionless at the bottom of the scale, which is not a good sign. :no:

I'm now thinking I should be looking for a replacement (yeah me and the rest of the early tv collecting world).

This seems like a pretty popular tube, and unfortunately I guess it's also in very short supply.

Anyone have any leads??

It would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Bob.

rca2000
05-04-2007, 05:31 PM
I HAVE one...it was on a lONG forgotten Andrea chassis in the old shed behind my house. I was not sure what tube it had--but I remembered that it was a round one, and I thought it was metal. Turns out--I was right on BOTH accounts!! The bell is covered by a sheet of plastic(for obvious reasons!!)

So..not knowing what conditon it was in, I hooked it to my Sencore Cr-70. First..I checked the filament..fine..Then all of it. It took a minute or two to "wake up", BUT once it did...It reads VERY high into the green region, around 12 or so..AND it HOLDS this level on life test well..and when I drop the filamant voltage to 4.5 volts..it STILL has good emision!! Thiis tube will NOT need any "help" to run GREAT!! It says RCA on the base I think.

So..if you are interested--Email me...I am loading up for the ETF convention tomorrow. If you are coming--I can bring the tube along, or perhaps you can have someone pick it up, if you decide to get it from me.

John Marinello
05-04-2007, 06:49 PM
Which model '51 do you have?

Ampico-kid
05-04-2007, 10:08 PM
I have a Zenith H3267R "Hawthorne" combo unit with a 24H20 chassis.

Thanks very much rca2000, I've sent you an e-mail......

Ampico-kid
05-05-2007, 09:45 AM
It looks like my short search for a 16GP4 "is over" thanks to rca2000. We've agreed on a purchase price and all that's left is for me to make the trip and pick up the tube.

Thanks for a great forum and resource of knowledge and parts!

You guys are the BEST!!!

Bob