View Full Version : zenith: Rauland tube

drh4683
10-31-2003, 11:57 PM
Zeniths subsidary rauland tube of melrose park shut down when zenith was bought by LGB electronics in november of 1998. The big sign you see here actually was all flickering incadesent bulbs showing "zenith". Probably one of the best signs to see at night. Unfortunatly, the sign doesnt get powered up since the plant shut down.
Like the zenith plants, its still there but space is being leased out to other businesses.

Steve D.
07-21-2014, 11:44 AM
Zeniths subsidary rauland tube of melrose park shut down when zenith was bought by LGB electronics in november of 1998. The big sign you see here actually was all flickering incadesent bulbs showing "zenith". Probably one of the best signs to see at night. Unfortunatly, the sign doesnt get powered up since the plant shut down.
Like the zenith plants, its still there but space is being leased out to other businesses.

Not sure if this is the Zenith-Rauland tube plant at Melrose Park mentioned in Doug's 2003 post. But thought I'd post the photo as it is no longer available on VK.

-Steve D.

Jon A.
07-21-2014, 12:35 PM
It was still in operation into the SS era as well. The back panel of my '73 flat-chassis Chromacolor says "For best results replace only with a genuine Rauland or Zenith picture tube".

Carmine
07-23-2014, 06:23 AM
Doug's picture was a much larger sign visible from a major expressway. I saw it myself on a trip through Chicago a few years back.

zeno
07-23-2014, 06:23 AM
You can spot a Rauland by the EIA number.
Zenith = 343
Rauland= 1101
Boy I would love that sign !

73 Zeno:smoke: