View Full Version : Monster Zenith combo in Vegas!!

polaraman
04-15-2007, 08:00 PM
Says it also has an 8 track player!

http://cgi.ebay.com/TV-CONSOLE_W0QQitemZ200100224082QQihZ010QQcategoryZ36 38QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

polaraman

JohnAdams
04-15-2007, 09:09 PM
I sold Zenith from 1963 through 1974 and they never got the credit they deserved for some of their all wood and wood veneer cabinets. I don’t remember any “photo finish” masonite fake wood that many others used, even Magnavox. We kept a good magnifying glass on the showroom floor and had several used sets of other brands. A good closeup of the cabinet top and it looked like the dots you would see in a photo in a newspaper. Just a printed image on masonite. I will always remember the Magnavox with the wood trim on top (about 2”) a cut like an insert and the rest of the top was fake wood along with the sides. Seems like there was always about $50 difference between a 21” Zenith versus same size and style cabinet on the Maggie. This gave us a way to show and explain the price difference. Did not Magnavox advertise “fine furniture cabinets”?
They didn’t say “fine wood cabinets”. I still have an Italian Provincial Zenith home theater cabinet that once housed about a 64 or 65 21”. Can’t bear to part with the beautiful wood cabinet. Have seen a new one almost like it in Sound and Vision being used with a flat screen tv that rises from behind it and the cabinet holds all the AV equip.

julianburke
04-15-2007, 09:49 PM
I remember Zenith' masonite cabinets. I sold them in the late 60's. They sold a "cheapie" 23" color with that cheap cabinet with legs. Seems like they were $399 list and were easy to spot. Why would Zenith get credit for their cabinets in particular when most color sets had fancy cabinets particulally Magnavox as most of theirs were Drexel made cabinets. (other manufacturers used Drexel and others as well) Zenith did make some pretty styles but what gets me is when I see the old ads about their quality hand made chassis'. Quality had nothing to do with it as Zenith was very slow, cash strapped or too cheap to upgrade (which was their later downfall) and it was a very expensive chassis to produce hence their high prices for the time. The former chief engineer of Philips lives here in Knoxville, Tn and has told this story many times.

3Guncolor
04-15-2007, 10:02 PM
I think Zenith had the best looking remote sets of the time. If Zenith was slow to upgrade they sure had the longest running sets and great for the most part CRT's. Even today their sets are easy to repair not bad for a company that was slow to change. People paid more because they got better service from the set.

DaWoofer
04-15-2007, 10:35 PM
Heres mine and it has zero plastic and louvred doors with tt and am/fm 12" woofers, horn mids and 3" cone tweets. Must be every bit of 400 lbs.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26745&d=1159754803

drh4683
04-15-2007, 11:10 PM
wow, what a nice set. Im guessing a 12A12C52 chassis is in there. And it works too, very nice. Id like to have a set like this if I had the space and ability to move it in the house. Combos just wont work for me at this time. I hope someone here can save this set. The space command is another bonus!