View Full Version : Do wood case TVs have the same model # ?

Othell
04-11-2007, 06:16 PM
:smoke:

hi, first off i would like to say that i am a new member to AudioKarma. now that i have that out of the way, i have a Sylvania Solid State GT-matic, my problem is that i cant find the model on the internet, as soon as posible i will post pictures.

avionic
04-11-2007, 07:00 PM
If this is a thread about TV,s you would probably have more responses to your question in the vintage TV forum below..

I would think the cases would be similar though.

Dave

avionic
04-11-2007, 07:11 PM
By the way Welcome to AK:D

Dave

Sandy G
04-11-2007, 08:10 PM
I moved it. No sweat. BTW, Othell, Welcome to AK !! Always nice to see another TV guy !!

bgadow
04-12-2007, 11:57 AM
Welcome! If you post the model number here we can find all kinds of information out about it. You can't generally find tv schematics online for free because they are not old enough to be in the public domain. Also the packages put out by Howard Sams make for a pretty large file for a set like yours. I had a chance to get a nice advertising banner for the GT-Matic when a local shop closed but I passed. Maybe he still has it tucked away. Anyway, that's not a very common set nowadays...would be interesting to learn more about it.

JCFitz
04-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Welcome. a 21" Sylvania GT Matic console was my grandmother's 1st color tv. She still had a b/w console until 1975 when she bought the GT Matic.It broke once in the 1st year. Was a rectifier. It was trouble free until 1984 when lightning hit it hard.Can't believe they fixed it. Was nothing left of the antenna wires,booster and rotor box but the tv came back repaired with a souvenir hole in the back where the booster from the antenna formerly was hung.Played fine until the early 90s when the yoke plug got a bad connection and burnt.I hardwired it and it worked once again. But by this time the instant on was taking it's toll on the crt.I'm sure all the hours I put on it when I was a kid didn't help either.It started getting blue and was losing red and green.Mostly green.Grass looked blue. I tried to rejuvenate and watched it fall right back down.A brightener helped but I soon took it to an auctiion and replaced it with a short lived 1978 Ge I replaced the flyback on. the tube went south within a year. Then a 1981 Zenith System 3.Tube went south in a year.Red was weak and streaking badly. Finally the tv I replaced it with lasted and I inherited it. My beatiful playing 1985 Zenith advanced System 3.That Sylvania was a workhorse and might still be playing if instant on hadn't killed the tube.The person that bought it was still using in in 1999 but they admitted the color was getting weak...lol.

Othell
04-18-2007, 07:30 PM
well, i got the info so here it is

model # CL3427P serial # 344-3279462
chassis# E040111-4355045
120 volts, 170 watts, 60 hertz

thats all i noticed, so any ideas on where to go from here?
your help is greatly appreciated

~Othell~ :smoke:

zenith2134
04-18-2007, 08:49 PM
Sounds like an interesting set, but what exactly is your question? Is the tv dead?

Othell
04-20-2007, 01:08 AM
basicly, do tv's of the same model, come in the same style wooden frame (chassis)

~Othell~ :smoke:

jpdylon
04-20-2007, 01:39 AM
It depends on who makes the set. Sometimes manufacturers will use different model numbers for sets that have wood versus metal cabinets. Most of these sets will have the same chassis.

Others will have the same model number but a certain designation on the serial# (letter or number) may tell whether its supposed to have a wood or metal case.

In short, to answer your question directly, yes TVs of the same model come in the same chassis.